General admission requirements

In order to study at Nuremberg Tech, you will need a university entrance qualification. Find out about the different forms they come in and what each of them mean with regard to undertaking a degree programme at Nuremberg Tech.

If you have obtained a general university entrance qualification (Abitur), you are entitled to study at a university or a university of applied sciences. The most common ways to obtain this qualification are at:

  • a secondary school

  • a technical college (FOS), having completed year 13 with a second foreign language

  • a higher vocational school (BOS), having completed year 13 with a second foreign language

  • a night school

  • a university of applied sciences (bachelor’s degree programme)

  • Completion of year 12 at a Fachoberschule [technical college] (FOS)

  • Completion of year 12 at a Berufsoberschule [higher vocational school] (BOS)

  • Completion of year 12 at a secondary school + an external examination at a Fachoberschule
    Please note: Leaving certificates from secondary schools that show a university of applied sciences entrance qualification without an additional final examination do not entitle the holder to undertake a degree programme at a state-recognised university in Bavaria or Saxony.

  • Telekolleg II university of applied sciences entrance qualification certificate  (in german)

  • University of applied sciences entrance qualification certificate from technical academies or technical schools

  • Completion of the Berufsschule plus” (vocational school plus) model experiment (in german)

  • Graduation from a technical academy or technical school with a supplementary examination
    Further information regarding the supplementary examination and ways in which to obtain the university of applied sciences entrance qualification can be found on the following pages provided by the Ministry of Education and Cultural Affairs: for graduates of technical academies, (in german) for graduates of technical schools and applicants with master’s certificates (in german)


Please note: Obtaining a university of applied sciences entrance qualification from a vocational college in Baden-Württemberg generally only entitles the holder to undertake a degree programme at state-recognised universities in Bavaria subject to additional requirements. If in doubt, please contact the Student Counseling Service.

certain subject-restricted degree programmes at universities. The most common ways to obtain a subject-restricted university entrance qualification are by graduating from: 

  • a Fachoberschule [technical college] (FOS), having completed year 13 with a foreign language

  • a Berufsoberschule [higher vocational school] (BOS), having completed year 13 with a foreign language

  • 60 credits earned in a bachelor's degree programme. These must relate to exam results from the first two semesters, as specified in the applicable examination regulations.

The subject restrictions  are set out in this allocation list (in german). For students falling under point 4, who are not looking to undergo teacher training, subject restriction is no longer standardised across Bavaria under the Qualifications Act. Universities now make their own decisions with regard to subject restrictions, so it is possible that the rules will differ greatly from one another.You should therefore ask your chosen university directly. 

Other federal states: The option to move to a university after you have obtained the required number of credits during a bachelor’s degree programme at a university of applied sciences is not available in all federal states and, where it is, the subject restrictions will in most cases differ from those applied in Bavaria. Please be sure to always ask your chosen university!

Are you an international student who wants to come and study at the Ohm? To ensure that your application is successful, you must first meet the following prerequisites:

  • Recognition of academic credentials (certificates and diplomas): The qualification from your home country must be recognised by the university.
    When applying for a bachelor’s degree programme, the university will check whether your credentials or other educational qualifications are equivalent to the Bavarian Abitur (higher education entrance qualification).
    In order to undertake a master’s degree programme, you must have previously completed a university programme equivalent to a German university degree. Further information concerning the recognition of academic credentials
  • Evidence of German language proficiency: Excellent German language skills are required for the majority of degree programmes at our university.

    To study a programme taught in German at the Ohm, you will need a certificate demonstrating very good C1-level language skills. You will need to present the certificate upon enrolment at the latest. The language certificates listed under this link are accepted by the Ohm.

    It is possible to attend a preparatory language course at the Ohm. The Language Center offers regular DSH Preparatory Courses at levels B2 and C1. There are also two opportunities to sit the DSH examination at the Technische Hochschule Nürnberg (in February and July). For more information on course times, costs, advice, and registration, please visit the Language Center webpages.

  • Degree programme-specific requirements: Some bachelor’s and master’s degree programmes have specific admission requirements (e.g., pre-study internship), which also apply to you as an international applicant.

Required documents

Details concerning the required documents and the application process can be found on the International Office’s pages for prospective international students .

Information concerning the international student quota

As part of the international student quota, 10% of places on NC degree programmes are reserved for international students. However, this is not primarily based on your nationality, but on whether your university entrance qualification has been obtained in Germany as a “domestic student” or abroad as an “international student”.

You will be included in the international student quota if you

  • did not obtain your university entrance qualification in the Federal Republic of Germany or at a German school abroad or in a Member State of the European Union, or
  • obtained your university entrance qualification at a German Studienkolleg (preparatory college) by completing the FSP assessment examination in a specialization required for the degree programme, or
  • are stateless.

If more international students have applied for the degree programme than there are study places available within the quota, applicants will be selected purely on the basis of their (converted) average grade. Waiting periods are not taken into account and applications for the recognition of hardship are also not accepted.

Applicants who obtained their university entrance qualification in an EU Member State are included in the Abitur quota and waiting periods are also taken into account. Waiting periods are not affected by time spent studying at a foreign university, i.e., such time is not deducted from the waiting period.

Degree programme-specific requirements

Alongside the general admission requirements, each degree programme has additional specific admission requirements. These generally come in three forms.

  • Open admission (without numerus clausus)
    In the case of open admission degree programmes, all applicants who have obtained an appropriate university entrance qualification will be allocated a study place.
  • Restricted admission with numerus clausus
    For NC degree programmes where admission is limited, a certain number of study places are available for each degree programme. These are allocated in accordance with established criteria.
  • Restricted admission with preliminary exams
    Preliminary exams will be held for degree programmes for which special ability or artistic talent is required. At the Ohm, the degree programmes for which this is required are Architecture and Design.

The bachelor’s degree programmes in Civil Engineering, Health Information Management, Building Services Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, and Mechatronics/Precision Engineering also require a completed pre-study internship for admission. You will find information about this on the website of the respective degree programme.

What requirements are there for your degree programme?

List of all degree programmes

Do you have questions about admission and application?

Studi-Talks: Ask those who know

Students will answer your questions about studying and applying (in German).