Faculty of Applied Chemistry

Background information on the coronavirus

The Faculty of Applied Chemistry has a long history steeped in tradition. Following the foundation of the Städtischen Polytechnischen Schule (city polytechnic school) in 1823, the first chemist, Dr. Friedrich Wilhelm Engelhart, was appointed as a teacher of physics and chemistry at the school in 1829.

Today, around 500 students are taught by 13 professors in the bachelor’s and master’s degree programmes, supported by over 40 adjunct teaching staff and scientific and technical employees.