Studying with a disability


The transition to university studies is often an especially challenging time for people with a disability or chronic illness.
Nuremberg Tech’s goal is to offer students with disabilities the same study conditions and to support them on their journey from choosing a degree programme to successfully completing their studies.

“‘Disabled students can request reasonable accommodations in the form of additional equipment and aids, as far as this is necessary to establish equal opportunities. For this purpose, the time allotted for the examination (examination duration) can also be extended to a reasonable extent or the taking of the exam in another form can be approved.”

The request for reasonable accommodations must be submitted to the examination board with an informal application and a medical certificate and handed in to the Student Office.The request must be submitted at the latest when you register for the examination. If you want to know more about the possibilities of compensating for disadvantages, you can read more on the website of the German Student Services (Studentenwerk) .

Accessibility on campus
At the Ohm, we aim to ensure that you have access to all facilities on campus and that all buildings are equipped as accessibly as possible.
The “Gebäudeleitfaden” document provides you with an overview of all accessible areas at the individual university locations. 

Parking permit
Students with mobility impairments can apply for a parking permit. To apply, contact:
Michael Klisa, tel. 0911 / 5880-4343, email: Michael.Klisa(at)

If you can prove a degree of disability of at least 70% reduction in earning capacity, you can apply for preferential consideration for a place in one of the Studentenwerk’s halls of residence. The St. Peter student residence has four dormitory places designated for disabled students.

For more on the halls of residence, see: Studentenwerk Erlangen-Nuremberg

Cost absorption for certain study aids

If you need additional help, such as sign language interpreters, reading staff, or accompanying persons for your studies, you must apply for cost absorption from the regional social welfare agency: District of Central Franconia: Sozialreferat (Social Services Department)
Rettistrasse 54-56, 91522 Ansbach
Tel.: 0981 4664-2402

  • Postal address: P.O. Box 617, 91511 Ansbach


Scholarships and grants

  • Mentoring programme for female students with disabilities:
    Supported by the Contergan Foundation, the Hildegardis Association is launching the first mentoring programme for disabled female students in Germany. Over the next three years, the pilot project will provide 60 female students with targeted support in their career and life planning in the form of the individual mentoring and encouragement from successful, professionally experienced academics (known as mentors).
  • Google Europe Scholarship for Students with Disabilities:
    The scholarship is intended for students with disabilities who are studying computer science and are in their last year of bachelor’s, master’s, or doctoral degree programmes.
    You can find more information here


You can find more information about student funding on these pages.

Information and advice center for studying with disabilities
Monbijouplatz 11
10178 Berlin
Tel. 030 / 29 77 27 - 64
Fax: 030 / 29 77 27 - 69
Email: studium-behinderungatstudentenwerkPunktde

Bundesarbeitsgemeinschaft Hörbehinderter Studenten und Absolventen e.V. (Federal Association for Hearing Impaired Students and Graduates)
Dipl.-pol. Andreas Kammerbauer
Hinter der Hochstätte 2b
65239 Hochheim am Main
ST/tel.: 06 14 6 / 83 55 37
Fax: 06 14 6 / 83 55 38
Email: andreas.kammerbaueratt-onlinePunktde

Deutscher Verein der Blinden und Sehbehinderten in Studium und Beruf e.V. DVBS (German Association of the Blind and Visually Impaired in Study and Work)
835039 Marburg
Tel. 06421/94888-0
Fax 06421/94888-10
Email infoatdvbs-onlinePunktde

Nuremberg/Erlangen area 

Career guidance for high school graduates and university students
Arbeitsagentur Nürnberg, Richard-Wagner-Platz 5, 90443 Nuremberg
Tel.: +49 (0)911 529-0

If you need to apply for assistance to study on the basis of social assistance:

District of Central Franconia: Sozialreferat, Rettistraße 54-56, 91522 Ansbach, tel: 0981 4664-2402
Postal address: P.O. Box 617, 91511 Ansbach

Self-help groups:

ZSL e.V. Erlangen, Zentrum für selbstbestimmtes Leben Behinderter e.V. (Center for autonomous life with a disability)
Luitpoltstr. 42, 91052 Erlangen, tel. 09131 /205022
www.zsl-erlangen.deHörEnswert e.V.
Association of young people with hearing handicap in Northern Bavaria
Blaicher Strasse 12, 95326 Kulmbach, tel 09221 / 395-9752, info(at)

Contact and Advice

Ms Ursula Meßmann from the Student Counseling Service is the contact person for disabled and chronically ill students.You can contact her if you are looking for expert advice on the topic of choosing a course of study or if you would like to know how we can support you during your studies.