You will receive an offer of a study place in your degree programme with the admission letter; now you will still need to enrol (register for) in this degree programme.

The admission letter is not the same as enrolment!

You can find the application form for binding enrolment on your desired degree programme  in your personal degree programme overview in our online application portal.

You must send this application for binding enrolment to the university, enclosing all the required  documents, by the specified deadline.

Enrolment deadlines

The binding enrolment deadlines specific  to your degree programme can be  found in your   admission letter. If the university  receives your documents late (determined by the date on  which it receives them),  this will result in the loss of your place in the degree programme.

Once the documents have been received and checked, you will be enrolled and you can download your  enrolment documents  and  information relating to starting your degree programme  from your applicant account.

You can check the current status of your application at any time in your applicant account.   

Important evidence and information

Please note: The university does not provide certifications.

For some degree programmes you must submit officially certified copies when you enrol. Please note the information in the admission letter and the application for enrolment about the form in which you must submit the documents. Even though enrolment in most degree programmes is now purely digital, you can still be required to submit the originals/officially certified copies at any time.

Official certifications may be obtained from any public body that bears an official seal:

  • Authorities
  • Civil-law notaries
  • Churches organized under public law

Certifications from the following bodies will not be accepted (even if they bear a seal):

  • Lawyers
  • Associations
  • Auditors
  • Accountants

An improperly produced certification will result in exclusion from the process.     


Required elements

An official certification must include at least the following:

  • an endorsement certifying that the document is a true copy of the original  = certifying endorsement (Beglaubigungsvermerk)
  • the signature of the certifying person, and
  • the stamp of the official seal. An official seal generally features an emblem. A simple text-based stamp is not sufficient.


Should the certification fail to fulfil the stated requirements, the university will not accept the document. Please ensure yourself that the certification complies with the form requirements. Please draw the certifying body’s attention to the form of certification.

If a copy consists of several individual sheets, it must have been verified that each page represents a copy from the same certificate. It is sufficient for only one page to feature the certifying endorsement and signature, provided all sheets are laid on top of one another (e.g. so that they overlap), are bound, and stamped in such a way that part of the official seal appears on each page. Each page may also be certified individually, of course. You must always make sure that your name appears on each page of the original. If it is not shown on all pages, it must be included in the certifying endorsements together with a note explaining the nature of the certificate.

If the front and back of a page feature a copy and it reflects the content of the two pages, the certifying endorsement must relate to the front and back pages (e.g.: “I hereby certify that the document shown on the front and the reverse are a true copy of the original”). Should this not be the case, the front and back of a sheet will need to be certified separately.

New students und transfer students must provide proof of payment of the Student Services fee stated in the admission letter by the date of enrolment.

If payment is not  made by the deadline, enrolment will not be possible. 

When enrolling (by post),  please include proof of payment from your bank or a recent account statement. The university's bank account details can be found in your enrolment application, which is generated after completing online enrolment in StudyOhm.

Refunds of the Student Services fee for first-year and transfer students

Should you not wish to accept your study place despite having already completed enrolment, it is only possible to obtain a refund if the university  receives a request for removal from the student register (exmatriculation) by 14 March for a summer semester or 30 September for a winter semester.

If the university does not receive your request by these dates, a refund of the Student Services fee will no longer be possible.

Obligation to take out health insurance

When you enrol, you must present confirmation of coverage (Versicherungsbescheinigung) from the statutory health insurance provider.

You will only receive this confirmation of coverage from a statutory health insurance provider, not from a private health insurance provider.

  • If you have taken out a mandatory or voluntary policy with a statutory health insurance provider or are included on someone else’s policy (family insurance), you will receive the confirmation from your statutory insurance provider.

  • If you have taken out health insurance privately or appear on someone else’s private policy (parent or spouse), you must arrange for a statutory health insurance provider to issue the confirmation of coverage by submitting proof of your private health insurance to them. Please note that your decision to take out private insurance is binding and it is only possible to switch to a statutory health insurance provider in exceptional cases.

The situation outlined above applies correspondingly for study applicants from another EU Member State.

You are required to notify the Student Office when registering with, leaving or changing health insurance provider or changing insurance type. Otherwise you may be denied registration or continuation of your studies.

A new confirmation of coverage must therefore also be submitted if you have been removed from the student register of Nuremberg Institute of Technology and you are re-enrolling for the next semester, e.g. in a new degree programme.

Please note that your decision to take out private insurance is binding and it is only possible to switch to a statutory health insurance provider in exceptional cases.

Proof of health insurance

The process of registering for student health insurance requires students to present a confirmation of coverage upon commencing their degree programme.

It is not possible to enrol at the university without this confirmation of coverage.

Study applicants who are required to hold insurance and are privately insured must arrange exemption from compulsory student insurance. The student must submit an exemption request to the statutory health insurance provider with which he/she most recently held insurance, or otherwise to one of the health insurance funds that would be responsible or could be selected where a mandatory requirement to hold insurance exists. Confirmations from a private insurance provider regarding the existence of a policy cannot be accepted.

Certificates of permanent entitlement and insurance cards cannot be accepted as grounds for definite confirmation of insurance status.

The confirmation of coverage can be obtained from the health insurance provider with which you are registered.

This means you will no longer need to provide a confirmation of coverage in order to register for subsequent semesters.

Students who change their statutory health insurance policy during their degree programme are required to notify the university without delay. At the same time, a confirmation of coverage from the newly selected health insurance provider must be submitted to the Student Office.

The brochure provides detailed information about statutory accident insurance cover at higher education institutions for students and interns.

Statutory accident insurance cover at higher education institutions (PDF in German)