Dear new students of our Master program, we are very glad to welcome you! We hope that your stay will be pleasant and successful.

  • Arrange financial proof for your student visa application    
  • Open a bank account at a local bank as soon as you arrive to Nuremberg    
  • Get your mandatory German health insurance (EU-citizens: European Health Insurance Card)    
  • Register your new address at the municipality of Nuremberg    
  • Get your residence permit from the Nuremberg immigration office. 
  • Use the time before the semester starts to find your way around.
  • Explore the campus, look for the libraries, the student cafeteria, the computer labs, etc. It is important for you to know how to use these facilities.

Please note that we are NOT responsible for organizing your accommodation. Each student will need to arrange its accommodation independently - however, we do have a limited number of rooms in students' residences run by the Studentenwerk Erlangen-Nürnberg (student union).

If you would like to apply for a regular room in one of the students' residences run by the Studentenwerk Erlangen-Nürnberg (student union), please visit:

Studentenwerk Erlangen - Nürnberg
Geschäftsstelle Nürnberg Andreij-Sacharow-Platz 1, 1st floor
90403 Nürnberg


Other options to look for a private apartment or a room in a shared flat (called "Wohngemeinschaft" or short WG):

In case you do not find a room immediately, you may want to stay in a hostel first or try AirBnB/ Couchsurfing. Or search in surrounding cities such as Fürth (which is well connected to Nürnberg via the metro “U-Bahn”).

Before enrolment, please read the following information.

Health insurance

You cannot enrol at a German university or receive a residence permit unless you have health insurance coverage. Please contact one of the following state insurance companies:

As soon as you receive an admission letter, please inform your statutory health insurer that you would like to register at the Nuremberg Institute of Technology.

The health insurance provider will then send us an electronic notification of your health insurance coverage. It is required to use the electronic registration procedure. That means, the law no longer permits a notification in paper form.

The university informs the health insurance provider after enrolment is completed.  Even if you have private health insurance or are co-insured (with a parent or spouse), please contact a statutory health insurance provider of your choice. This provider will send an electronic notification on your behalf to Nuremberg Tech. 

Confirmations from a private insurance provider regarding the existence of a policy cannot be accepted. 

Applicants who would like to be exempted from the insurance requirement receive an electronic notification from the statutory health insurance provider that states this exemption.

International students are required to open a bank account with a German bank as soon as they arrive in Nuremberg.  This will allow you to sign the mandatory health insurance contract and to prove your financial situation to the immigration office.

German authorities require that foreigners from non-EU countries have around 10,332 Euros per year to support their stay in Germany (might be subject to change).

Before applying for a visa, you have to prove that you have this amount at your disposal by one of the following documents:     

  • Bank guarantee showing a balance of 10,332 Euros.    
  • Evidence of the financial standing of your parents or a legally binding statement from them: your parents have to prove that their financial means will be sufficient to support you during your stay in Germany. The German embassy/consulate will check the information provided as authorized in § 84 of the Aliens Act. We would advise you to contact the German embassy/consulate as soon as possible, in order to get the necessary information and forms.    
  • Legally binding declaration of liability from a person residing in Germany. If you know somebody who is living in Germany and is willing to support you financially during the whole period of your stay, this person has to prove his/her financial standing. He/she has to present the completed "Verpflichtungserklärung" form (available at German immigration offices) together with other documents such as monthly income statements, housing/rental contracts and his/her passport to the local immigration office at the place of his/her residency. The documents will be verified by the immigration office based on § 84 of the Aliens Act . 
  • Most international students use a blocked account ("Sperrkonto") to finance their studies in Germany. It’s called a “blocked account” because the money deposited into the account cannot be withdrawn until you have arrived in Germany.
  • Scholarship award notification from a recognised scholarship provider. 

Make sure to inquire at the German embassy in your country as to which form of financial proof is required!

For more information, please visit Study in Germany and contact your local German embassy. 


Whether you need a visa as an international student depends on where you come from and how long you wish to stay in Germany. Students who are citizens of EU and EEA-countries are not required to obtain a visa. A useful tool is the visa navigator from Germany's Federal Foreign Office.

For those with visa requirement: As soon as you have been admitted to a study program, you need a student visa to enter Germany. Student visas are usually valid for three months. We strongly suggest to not enter the country with a tourist visa as this cannot be changed into a residence permit after your arrival.

Residence permit (Aufenthaltstitel)

Once you are in Nuremberg and registered your adress at Einwohneramt, you can get your visa changed into a long-term residence permit. You must apply for this residence permit ("Aufenthaltserlaubnis/ "Aufenthaltstitel") at Nuremberg Foreigners' Registration Office/ Immigration Office ("Ausländerbehörde").

You should apply at least 6-8 weeks before the end of your visa period or your 90 days visa-free entry. It is also necessary to notify the Foreigners' Registration Office of any changes in the purpose of your stay or place of residency.

In order to apply for or to prolong your residence permit ("Aufenthaltserlaubnis"), please do so through the portal Mein Nürnberg.

Instead of registering in the portal, the residence permit may alternatively be requested online via a guest access (without registration). However, we would recommend to register for the portal (instead of using a guest access) as any communication with the authorities can be done online then.



In Germany, everyone who is moving to a different place within the country or entering Germany from abroad has to register his/her personal details and address at the local registration office ("Einwohneramt") within two weeks after arrival:

  • Complete the registration form "Anmeldung Meldebehörde"
  • Send the completed form to the following address: Einwohneramt, Äußere Laufer Gasse 25, 90403 Nürnberg 
  • or drop the registration form personally into the mailbox of the Residents' Office, Äußere Laufer Gasse 25
  • To register your address, you can also book an appointment online for the “Anmeldung”
  • More information (in German)

Please take along your passport, the so called "Wohnungsgeberbestätigung" issued by your landlord, and the filled-in registration form ("Meldeschein"). The clerk will check your information and return to you a copy of your registration form which he/she stamped before.

Please keep your registration form during the whole period of your stay in a safe place because you will need it to deregister at the same office before leaving Nuremberg/Germany for good.