Frequently Asked Questions by prospective students

What are the requirements with regard to previous education?

The prerequisite for studying here is a corresponding university entrance qualification. You can find more details on the webpages of the Student Advisory Service. For foreign students, proof of German language proficiency is also required. A good knowledge of mathematics and physics will make it easier to start studying. Further information can also be obtained from the Student Advisory Service of the AC Faculty.

How long do the degree programmes last?

The standard programme duration for a bachelor’s degree is seven semesters and for a master’s degree three semesters; some universities in Germany also offer six-semester bachelor’s degree programmes, followed by a four-semester master’s degree programme. In total, the bachelor’s and master’s degree programmes always take ten semesters altogether.

Which academic degree does the AC Faculty offer?

The degree earned in the bachelor's programme in Applied Chemistry is: Bachelor of Science, or B.Sc. for short. The master’s degree programmes that build on the bachelor’s degree are the Master of Science (M.Sc.) or Master of Engineering (M.Eng.).

What is a bachelor’s degree and what is the difference between a bachelor’s degree from a university of applied sciences and a university (Universität)?

The bachelor’s degree is the first university degree that forms a professional qualification and it replaces the former “Diplom”. The bachelor’s degrees awarded by the universities of applied sciences differ from those awarded by universities in that they are more practically oriented, while the degrees awarded by universities are more academic. In principle, all bachelor’s degrees (regardless of whether they come from a university of applied sciences or university) qualify students to transfer to a master’s degree programme at the same or a different university. The admission criteria (e.g. grade point average, etc.) are decided by the respective universities. The acceptance of the bachelor’s degree on the labour market will continue to increase in the future, because most universities in Germany have been offering only bachelor’s degree programmes for some time now. The advantage of the bachelor’s degree lies in its compatibility with bachelor’s degrees from European and non-European universities. In the past, there were problems with the recognition and classification of German “Diplom” qualifications abroad.

What is the master’s degree?

The master’s degree is an post-graduate degree awarded by universities. Depending on the orientation of the master’s degree programme, the academic degree awarded will either be that of Master of Science (M.Sc.) or Master of Engineering (M.Eng.).
On the job market, master’s graduates stand out as they have achieved a higher qualification and are also entitled to take up a doctorate (obtaining the doctorate) at universities or universities of applied sciences (in Germany and abroad).
Master’s graduates will usually take on more highly qualified tasks requiring greater responsibility and competence in industry and civil service. In civil service, a master’s degree allows graduates to pursue a career in the Higher Service.

What is the difference to studying at an Universität?

Studies at the Nuremberg Institute of Technology (a university of applied sciences) have a strongly practical orientation. This is reflected in the application-oriented content of the programme. In addition, professors at the university of applied sciences must provide evidence of at least 5 years of practical experience in industry. Cooperation with industry is an important part of the degree programme.

Is it possible to do a doctorate after completing the degree programme?

For students with above-average grades, there is a possibility of doing a doctorate in cooperation with a Universität.

For qualified master’s degree students or master’s graduates from Nuremberg Tech in any discipline who are aiming to obtain a doctoral degree, a grant for preliminary doctoral work is also offered. Further information about this can be found on the pages about Student funding information.

Are there opportunities to take a preliminary course before starting the degree programme?

Preliminary courses in mathematics are offered regularly every winter semester, and since 2014, there has also been a preliminary course in chemistry. These are primarily aimed at those first-year students who have a basic knowledge of chemistry and want to prepare for their studies. Participation in the preliminary course is strongly recommended in such cases. Information regarding the dates of the courses will be published on the homepage of the Faculty of AC, usually in the September before studies commence.

How can academic achievements be recognized (credit transfers)?

The recognition of academic achievements from other universities takes place at the same time as enrolment to the degree programme. Further information can be obtained from the Student Office or from the Student Counseling of the AC faculty.

In special cases, it is possible for achievements from vocational training to be recognized. Further information can be obtained from the Student Office.

How much does a degree programme cost?

Payment of the semester fee as well as the basic ticket for local public transport is due per semester. Since WS 2013/14, additional tuition fees are no longer charged.
Further information on this topic can be found on the website of the Student Advisory Service.

Where and how can I apply for BAföG?

If you intend to apply for a BAföG grant, you should obtain information about the conditions and requirements at an early stage. The BAföG office in the Student House on the Insel Schütt is responsible for this. Further information can be found on the website of the Studentenwerk Nürnberg.