FAQs on admission

Question: Can the master’s degree in Urban Mobility be completed on a part-time basis as well?

This is a full-time degree programme. In designing the curriculum for this course, we did not take into consideration any obligations that students may have towards their employers. Yet, there are some students who have completed this degree programme while also working. However, this job must offer students enough flexibility (both in terms of time and geographically) to complete their studies (e.g. place of work near the university). If this is not the case, we strongly advise against taking this degree.


Question: Which bachelor’s degree programme best qualifies me for the master’s degree programme in Urban Mobility?

  • Civil engineering, specializing in traffic and transport (at a university of applied sciences or university offering at least six semesters of theory)
  • Geography, specializing in cultural or human geography
  • A technical degree with a connection to traffic and transport (e.g. mechanical engineering, specializing in automotive engineering)
  • An economics degree with a connection to traffic and transport (e.g. traffic and transport logistics/management)
  • In the case of other degree programmes that are not so closely associated with this master’s programme, you may be able to express your interest in studying this master’s programme by providing relevant evidence, e.g. subject of bachelor’s or master’s thesis, or personal involvement in mobility research or academic employment, e.g. in a traffic operations company, construction office, or town planning authority (including during your studies), etc. However, the decision here rests with the examination board.

The essential prerequisite, however, is a completed or almost completed bachelor’s degree with at least six semesters of theory, representing at least 210 ECTS and a grade point average of 2.8 or better.

If your bachelor’s degree programme only offers 180 ECTS, you will need to make up the remaining 30 ECTS by taking an exam in transportation-specific support subjects from civil engineering at Nuremberg Tech in order to be accepted onto the course. These must be completed within the first year of the master’s programme.

If your current course comprises 210 ECTS or more, you may still be required to take additional support subjects depending on the content of your current course (e.g. no specialization in traffic and transport, etc.).

Conversely, you may have the option of crediting modules or subjects from your current course to the master’s degree programme (e.g. statistics, transport logistics, traffic management, etc.). On request, the examination board will decide on whether the academic achievements will be recognized for the master’s programme.


Question: Is there a minimum grade required for admission?

Yes, you cannot be accepted onto the course if you do not achieve a final grade in your previous studies of at least 3.3.

If your final grade is between 2.8 and 3.2, you must pass an entrance exam for admission to the master’s degree programme in Urban Mobility.

FAQs on the progression of your studies

Question: How do I find out which support subjects I need to take?

In the HISinOne application portal, you will find your letter of admission, which will state the support subjects you need to take. You must print out or save this letter. You can find more information about the content of the support subjects in the module handbook for the Civil Engineering bachelor’s degree programme.


Question: Where can I find out when the support subjects are offered?

All the support subjects are offered in the 3rd/4th or 6th/7th semester of the bachelor’s degree programme in Civil Engineering and can therefore be found in the relevant timetables for those semesters. These are displayed in the Faculty on the first floor and shown during the introductory session.

Question: Do I need to register for the support subject courses?

If you need to choose a specific number of subjects from the advanced traffic and transport subjects, then you will need to register. To better plan for teaching and exam preparation, the office will send an email request at the start of the semester in which you must register your attendance of any support subjects.


Question: How and when can I credit subjects from my bachelor’s degree to my master’s degree?

You can submit an application for recognition of subjects from your bachelor’s degree during the first four weeks of each semester. To do this, you need a certificate of your grades and ECTS as well as a detailed description (module handbook and lecture notes, if applicable) of the subject in question. These documents must be presented to the examination board, which will make a decision about your request.


Question: My bachelor’s degree only consists of 180 ECTS points, so I need to make up 30 ECTS points through support subjects. However, I have gained fewer than 30 ECTS points through support subjects. Do I need to take additional subjects?

No, you do not need to do this. Your application documents will be reviewed to check whether you have any practical experience (placement, student job, or similar) in transportation that can be credited to you and help you out.


Question: Can I take support subjects that span two semesters according to the module handbook, in just one?

Yes. Each exam must be offered every semester. You just need to make sure that you are admitted to take the exam (e.g. by completing a paper required before the exam).


Question: Can I take support subjects from the bachelor’s and master’s degree programmes at the same time?

Yes, that is possible. It is entirely up to you to decide how many subjects to take per semester. However, it cannot be guaranteed that there will not be any overlaps in your timetable.
In any case, you should give absolute priority to the support subjects because some of them may give you only one or even no opportunity to retake (one-year deadline). If, in the very unlikely scenario that you fail, you can restart the master’s course from scratch, without restriction. In that case, the examination board would disregard any support subjects you previously passed.