History of the faculty

The Faculty of Materials Engineering has its roots in three institutions that enjoyed prestigious status as engineering schools:

  • the Staatliche Zieglerschule-Ingenieurschule [State School of Brickmaking and Engineering] in Landshut (founded in 1873); today known as the Staatliche Fachschule für Keramik [State Technical School for Ceramics]
  • the Staatliche Höhere Fachschule für Porzellan [State Higher Technical College for Porcelain] in Selb (founded in 1909); today known as the Staatliche Berufsbildungszentrum für Keramik [State Vocational Training Centre for Ceramics]
  • the Ingenieurschule für Glashüttentechnik [Glassworks Engineering School] in Zwiesel (founded in 1904); today known as the Staatliche Berufsbildungszentrum für Glas [State Vocational Training Centre for Glass]

In Nuremberg

In accordance with the Bavarian Higher Education Act of 1971, education in materials was one of the fields to be established at the universities of applied sciences newly founded in that year. In line with the “Proposals for restructuring higher education in ceramics and glass”, materials engineering was moved to Nuremberg (with a short guest appearance at Regensburg University of Applied Sciences) and set up as a separate department of the Georg Simon Ohm University of Applied Sciences Nuremberg in 1973.
The deciding factors that led to the choice of Nuremberg as a location were:

  • the technical proximity to the other engineering disciplines at the FH Nuremberg
  • the physical proximity to the University of Erlangen-Nuremberg
  • the favourable geographical location and cultural appeal of Nuremberg