Dear new students of our International Business program, we are very glad to welcome you to the IB-family! We hope that your stay will be pleasant and successful! Just take advantage of the time before the lectures will start to go through the required formalities and to gather information on your studies.

Students’ residences run by the Studentenwerk Erlangen-Nürnberg (student union):

Studentenwerk Erlangen - Nürnberg
Geschäftsstelle Nürnberg Andreij-Sacharow-Platz 1, 1st floor
90403 Nürnberg

Other options:


Additionally, you can look for a private apartment or a room in a shared flat (called "Wohngemeinschaft" or short WG):

You cannot enrol at a German university or receive a residence permit unless you have health insurance coverage. Please contact one of the following state insurance companies:

Once you signed the contract, you will receive a "Versicherungsbescheinigung" (Proof of insurance). You need to submit this document along with the papers for enrolment.The costs are around 80 Euros per month.

If you are from an EU member country, you will have to ask your insurance company in your home country for an European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). This card entitles you to medical treatment in Germany. However, this has to be confirmed by a letter from one of the above mentioned state insurance companies. Submit this confirmation letter along with the papers for enrolment.

International students are required to open a bank account with a German bank as soon as they arrive in Nuremberg. This will be necessary to be able to sign the mandatory health insurance contract as well as to prove your financial situation to the Foreigners' Registration Office.

In Germany, everyone who is moving to a different place within the country or entering Germany from abroad has to register his/her personal details and address at the local registration office ("Einwohneramt") within two weeks after arrival.

Please take along your passport, the so called "Wohnungsgeberbestätigung" issued by your landlord, and the filled-in registration form ("Meldeschein"). The clerk will check your information and return to you a copy of your registration form which he/she stamped before.

Please keep your registration form during the whole period of your stay in a safe place because you will need it to deregister at the same office before leaving Nuremberg/Germany for good.


Important Links

Local Registration Office (Einwohneramt Nürnberg)

Registration Form (Meldeschein)

Whether you need a visa as an international student depends on where you come from and how long you wish to stay in Germany. Students who are citizens of EU and EEA-countries are not required to obtain a visa. For more information please visit the website of the German Foreign Office.

For those with visa requirement: As soon as you have been admitted to a study program, you need a student visa to enter Germany. Student visas are usually valid for three months. We strongly suggest to not enter the country with a tourist visa as this cannot be changed into a residence permit after your arrival.

Once you are in Nuremberg, you can get your visa changed into a long-term residence permit. You must apply for this residence permit ("Aufenthaltserlaubnis") at the Nuremberg Foreigners' Registration Office.

For a personal visit to the Foreigners' Registration Office an online appointment can be made in advance.

Please make sure to apply for the residence permit on time (about 8 weeks prior to visa expiry) and to renew it on time (about 8 weeks prior to expiry). It is also necessary to notify the Foreigners' Registration Office of any changes in the purpose of your stay or place of residency.


Important Links

Nuremberg Foreigers' Registration Office

Federal Foreign Office | Visa Requirements