General questions about the MIMA program

Do you charge study fees? 

Since the beginning of 2013, there are no tuition fees for all degree programs at our university - including the MIMA program - neither for German nor for international students. Only an administration fee of € 118 per semester  - which includes the base rate for using the public transportation system of Nuremberg -  is required.

When does the new academic year start? 

The winter semester starts on October 1st; the summer semester starts on March 15th.

What is the legal basis for the program? 

The legal basis is the Study and Examination Regulations of the Master program in International Marketing (Studien- und Prüfungsordnung) which is accessible via our website.  


How long will it take to finish the MIMA degree program?What is the maximum study length? 

The MIMA program normally takes three semesters full-time to complete. The maximum duration is 5 semesters.   

Is the MIMA program a full-time program? 





How many classes does a student take each semester? 

Usually students take courses worth 30 ECTS per semester.

Which courses do I have to take? 

The program consists of the following modules

  •  Analysis of and Access to International Markets
  •  Creation of International Market Offers
  •  International Marketing Tools
  •  Industrial Product and Market Development
  •  General Studies and Thesis
  •  Electives in International Marketing

The program includes mandatory courses and electives. Subjects focus on key theories and concepts as well as on the ability to apply a significant range of professional skills, practices and techniques in marketing, sales and planning departments of multinational companies, international corporations or other global institutions. A strong emphasis is also placed on soft skills, like language, business ethics and intercultural management.

Please refer to the Course Catalogue and the Module Handbook for further information.

Can I transfer graduate classes taken elsewhere (i.e., at another university) that are similar to the courses in the MIMA program? 

In case of admission to the program, you can apply for recognition of prior courses by handing in a request to the examination board within four weeks after enrolment. The examination board will then decide based on course contents etc. 

Please note that courses which were taken during the Bachelor program that was the basis for Admission to the MIMA program cannot be recognized and credited.

Admission Criteria and Procedure - General Questions Concerning Application

When and where can I apply? 

The application period for the upcoming winter semester (semester start: 1 Ocotober):
2 May till 15 June.  

The application period for the upcoming summer semester (semester start: 15 March): 
15 November till 15 January.  

The online application form (data sheet) is only available during these periods!

Is it beneficial to apply early? 

Yes, as there will be more time to submit documents that might be missing. Please make sure that all documents are uploaded within the given timelines.

How can I apply? 

You have to apply online and also upload all your application documents online. If you get accepted you will have to present all application documents as certified copies at the enrollment. Please find more information on our website: Admission Process

Is there an application fee? 


Where do I get more information? 

Your first point of reference should be our MIMA website.  In case, you have questions that could not be answered after studying our website, please send an email to the program assistant of the MIMA program (details to be found under "Contact").

Can the procedure for admission to Nuremberg Institute of Technology be completed through UniAssist? 

No, your application must be submitted directly to Nuremberg Institute of Technology.

What are the prerequisites of the program? 

The admission requirements are specified on our MIMA website.

Which of the admission criteria are most important? 

The admission committee will evaluate and select the applications according to the following criteria:     

  • the applicant's academic qualifications    
  • the applicant's practical business experience    
  • the applicant's knowledge of English and German 

When and by whom are admission decisions made? 

The admission committee consists of several professors. They consider all parts of your application, including your CV, motivation letter, letters of recommendation, Bachelor’s average grade and test scores. The final decision is made latest eight weeks after the application deadline.

Can I find out by telephone whether I have been accepted or denied admission to the program? 

No! Please be patient. We will inform all students via email. Make sure to check your email account as well as the spam folders regularly during the admission process.

If I am admitted this semester, may I defer my enrolment until next semester? 

No.  Please apply again for the semester in which you want to start via the online portal and upload your “old” letter of acceptance.

Can I apply for a higher semester? 

No. Applications are only possible for an entry into the first semester.

However, in case you have already studied in another Master's program, succesfully completed courses/credits might be transferred after a successful request to the examination board. Please send the request at the beginning of your MIMA studies to the examination board.

Which documents do I have to submit? 

You can find a listing of the documents to be submitted on the Admission Process page of the MIMA website.  You will need to complete the online application and upload your application documents within the application period before it will be considered.

Does my application need to be complete to apply? 

Yes, applications are not considered complete until all documents were received. Only then will they be taken into account.


Which documents have to be submitted as certified copies? 

If you get accepted you will have to hand in various certified documents for enrollment. All documents that have to be submitted as certified copies are listed on our MIMA website.

Do I need to hand in original documents for enrollment? 

Please do not hand in original certificates. Instead send/ hand in officially certified copies. The Nuremberg Institute of Technology does not assume any liability for unsolicited original certificates.

What is a certified copy? 

Collective certification:  If a copy consists of several individual pages, it must be verified that each page derives from the same original. Multi-sheet authentication of several pages of a document is permissible if the pages are bound with string or seals. Multi-sheet authentication is also recognized when the pages are folded in at the top and bound with a stapling eye and so stamped that each page has an imprint from the pressure of the seal.  

Each page can also be notarized separately

The notarized copy must contain a statement of notarization indicating that the copy corresponds to the original. The notarization can only be accepted when this statement contains the signature of the notary and the official stamp, which usually includes an emblem. Please ensure that the document is not only notarized with merely a rubber stamp. A simple ink stamp is insufficient!  

A copy of an officially certified copy is not considered to be authenticated and must be officially re-authenticated.

If the authentication does not meet the requirements (e.g. due to the opening of the multi-sheet authentication, subsequent handwritten entries and the like), the authenticated certificate will not be recognized. Incomplete authentication is also not permissible even if it was undertaken by an authorized body.

Who can certify copies? 

Official certifications outside of Germany may be performed by:     

  • German embassy and consulate    
  • The school or university that issued the document. Certifications have to be made by the school principal or the dean of the university with his/ her official seal. Certification by a secretariat is insufficient.     
  • A notary public who affixes a copy with his seal of apostille (notaries authorized to provide official notarization in the respective country). 

Official certifications in Germany may be performed by:     

  • An official German body authorized to administer seals: Municipal administrations, county administrations and lower administration authorities, e.g. local mayors and officials, city administrations (city hall), district authorities; additionally, also courts and notaries.    
  • A notary public    
  • A translator officially sworn in Germany for the specific language    
  • A consulate or embassy of the home country in Germany  

We will not accept notarizations from private individuals, solicitors, accountants, health insurance funds, a priest's office etc. Schools or universities may only authenticate certificates issued by them. 

The wording of certification by administrative bodies in Germany is generally the following: "Die Übereinstimmung der vorstehenden/umstehenden Kopie mit dem Original des (Name des Zeugnisses) wird hiermit amtlich beglaubigt." ("The above/following is hereby certified to be a true copy of the original of [name of record].”).

What is a certified translation? 

Documents not issued in German or in German/ English language must be translated by a sworn translator (registered at court) into German or English.  

Translations of records cannot be made from copies. They must be translated directly from the originals. The translator must indicate this in his certification. In addition, he must state the language from which the translation was made. Additionally we need a notarized copy of the original (foreign language) document. Certificates in English do not have to be translated. 

Records which have been translated in a country outside Germany can be     

  • given a notarization/legalization notice at an embassy or consulate of Germany stating “Viewed in the embassy (consulate) of the Federal Republic of Germany for Legalization...” or     
  • be legalized in that country with an apostille stamp by a notary public or     
  • be legalized by the consulate of that country in Germany.      

An officially sworn translator in Germany is also permitted to examine the translation made abroad and legalize it post factum with his seal.  

Translations made in Germany must be certified by a court-sworn translator for that specific language. The translator’s seal must contain the inscription “Öffentlich bestellter und vereidigter Übersetzer” (“Publicly appointed and sworn translator”). The seal must also indicate the language for which the translator is officially sworn. In addition, the translation must bear the address of the translator.

Admission Criteria and Procedure - Bachelor/Undergraduate Diploma

If my transcript does not contain a grade point average how can I calculate my GPA? 

In many countries official academic transcripts contain a GPA – one calculated per semester, and one calculated over the entire degree program. In some cases, a GPA will only be calculated once the program has been completed. If your transcript does not contain a GPA, the admissions office will calculate one for you (Bavarian formula). 

Please make sure that your achieved grade (GPA), the highest possible grade and the lowest possible passing grade can be refered to in your documents.

How can I convert my foreign grade into the German grading system? 

German universities use a 1 to 5 scale, ranging from 1 (very good) to 5 (not sufficient) with 4 being the lowest passing score (sufficient). 

Find here a list of selected countries and its conversion of grades to the German system! (This list is meant as an orientation tool and subject to change.)  

We are using the modified Bavarian Formula to convert your foreign GPA into the German grading system. Take the best possible score in your grading system (e.g. 4.0 for Americans) and subtract your obtained score from it. Divide this number by the difference of the best possible score and the lowest passing score (e.g. 2.0 for Americans). Multiply this quantity by 3 and then add 1. This will yield the German grade.  It equates for instance an American 4.0 to a 1 and an American 3.0 to a 2.5 in the German grading system.  Example calculation: [(4-3.5) / (4-2)] x 3 + 1



We require a first Diploma/Bachelor degree from a full business or economics program with a focus on marketing.

Can I apply with less than 210 ECTS obtained in the Bachelor? 

Yes! In case your Bachelor degree earned you just 180 ECTS (3 years of study), you may have to take additional courses (pre-master bridging courses) at our university to bring your ECTS points up to 210.

Will you consider my Master’s degree? 

In general, the basis for evaluation will be your Bachelor’s degree only.

Admission Criteria and Procedure - Master Admission Test and GMAT

When will the Master Admission Test take place? 

The Master Admission Test will take place on January 20th, 2020. You will be notified via email about the exact time and location.

What are the contents of the Master Admission Test? 

The Master Admission Test takes 90 minutes (90 achievable points). It includes short answer questions, multiple choice questions (one correct answer out of five) and short essay. All questions are based on the following book and concentrate on the listed chapters/pages:

Kotler/Armstrong (2016): Principles of Marketing, 16th edition

1 – Creating Customer Value and Engagement – page 29-56

2 – Company and Market Strategy – page 62-85

3 - Analysing the marketing environment – page 92-120

4 - Managing Marketing Information to Gain Customer Insights – page 128-157

5 - Consumer Markets and buying behaviour – page 164-189

8 - Products, Services, and Brands: Building Customer Value – page 254-285

10 - Price: Understanding and Capturing Customer Value – page 322-341

12 - Marketing Channels: Delivering Customer Value – page 374-402

15 - Advertising and Public Relations – page 472-494

The test is a vital part of the application process for applicants who would otherwise need to provide a GMAT due to the (expected) final average grade of the Bachelor’s degree.


Who can participate in the Master Admission Test? 

You will receive an invitation to the Master Admission Test in case you:     

  • Live in Germany AND     
  • your (expected) final average grade of the Bachelor's degree is between 1.6 and 2.5 (in the German grading system) in case of a completed Bachelor's degree AND you have not provided a sufficient GMAT/GRE score 

What can I do if I cannot take part in the Master Admission Test? 

 If you cannot participate, please submit a GMAT/ GRE result during the application period.

Do I need a GMAT? 

Whether a GMAT (minimum score 550) is required or not depends on your Bachelor grade: 

Bachelor's degree completed:

Final average grade (in the German grading system) of the Bachelor's degree is     

  • 1.0 - 1.5: no GMAT required    
  • 1.6 - 2.5: GMAT required    
  • 2.6 onwards: no admission possible    

Alternatively, applicants may also hand in a corresponding GRE test result.

What is your institutional code for the GMAT? 

Please select "Technische Hochschule Nürnberg (Nuremberg) - Faculty of Business Administration - Master in International Finance and Economics” as destination.

How must GMAT scores be submitted? 

Please upload an "Official Score Report/ School Copy“, a certified copy of it or make sure that our university can verify your score online.

What if my official GMAT scores arrive after the deadline? 

Academic institutions generally receive GMAT scores within 20 days after the test is taken. We recommend that you plan to take the GMAT exam at least one month prior to the application deadline to ensure that your exam results are available to the admissions committee on time.   When submitting your application please include your (un)official GMAT score report as it can be used in the initial evaluation of your application (in case your official score report arrives late). You will get your unofficial GMAT score right after you have taken the exam. Please submit the official score as soon as you receive it.

Admission Criteria and Procedure - Language requirements

Do I need to take a German exam even if the program is in English? 

Yes. The MIMA program can be fully studied in English. However, we also ask for a basic knowledge of German, equivalent to the level A1 of the Goethe-Institute (approximately 120 hours attended).       

Can I submit the German certificate after the application deadline?

As a general rule, all required documents are due during the appliatiuon period. Incomplete applications are not considered.
However, in case all other requirements are fully met, the admission committee might accept the German certificate later. Please submit proof that you are currently attending a German course.

Why do I need to take an English exam? 

The MIMA program is taught entirely in English (a few German courses are offered, too), and it is important that you can read, write, speak and understand English fluently. 

Each student requires (no matter what educational background) to submit a test result of their English proficiency by obtaining a language certificate mentioned on our website.
However, this does not apply if you are a native speaker from the USA, UK, Ireland, New Zealand, Australia or Canada – please submit proof.  

If you completed your complete higher education (min. 3 years) in an English taught program in the USA, UK, Ireland, New Zealand, Australia or Canada, the Admission Committee might accept your application without submission of an English test result – please submit proof.       

What standardized English exams do you accept and how old can my score be? 

Please find a list of the tests we accept on our MIMA website. No other English language exam results will be accepted. The exam results may not be older than two years. 

What is the institution code for the TOEFL test score report?

The TOEFL institutions code is "4210 TECHNISCHE HOCHSCHULE NURNBERG".

Admission Criteria and Procedure - Work experience and reference letters

Is work experience required? 

We require proof of at least 6 months of relevant practical experience or a relevant internship that was part of your studies (min. 20 weeks) . In case the applicant has not yet worked in marketing, enrolment may be granted under the condition that within the first semester you have to complete an internship of 20 weeks.

Who should write my letters of recommendation? 

Your letters of recommendation can be written by a person at the university or in business (e.g. a professor in a relevant course or a former employer).      

What are the guidelines for recommendation letters?  

Recommendation letters should come from persons who know you for a longer period of time and can comment on your academic, professional and/ or personal qualifications. Recommenders should be chosen from people most familiar with your studies or work. If you have been out of university for some time, a letter from an employer may be provided. Please make sure that the recommendation letter does not exceed one DIN A 4 page.       

May I submit more than two letters of recommendation?  

No. It is not recommended to submit more than two letters of reference.

Information for new students

Where is the faculty located? 

Our faculty is located close to the city center and easily accessible by public transportation at Bahnhofstrasse 87 in Nürnberg.

When does the introduction session for the MIMA program take place? 

We usually hold an introduction session on the first day of the new semester (i.e. 1 October or 15 March).

You will receive a lot of useful information and of course meet your new fellow students as well as Prof. Dr. Margo Bienert, head of the MIMA program. We will take some pictures and current MIMA students will show you around the building and its facilities.