Support for third-party funded projects

The University Research Services (Zentralstelle für Wissens- und Technologietransfer - ZWTT) will advise you regarding procuring and carrying out third party-funded projects at national and international level. This includes searching for suitable funding programmes, providing advice and assistance with applications, and offering administrative support throughout all phases of the project.

Note for doctoral students: Even if you are employed on a research project during your doctorate, only the research project itself can be financed by third-party funds (and thus, if applicable, your role in the project), but not the actual doctorate. You can apply for scholarships to fund your doctorate.


Firstly, scholarships can be used to finance your doctorate or related research projects at home and abroad (in part). Furthermore, many scholarship providers also offer non-material support to help you achieve further qualifications and to put you in touch with other scholarship holders. On the website of the Scholarship Guide from the Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF), you can use the search function to find suitable scholarships for your doctorate. Please contact us if you have questions about submitting an application!

Financial support for women in research

Since female scientists are still under-represented in research and especially in the STEM subjects, there are some financial support programmes specifically aimed at women. The University Service for Diversity and Occupational Health (HSFG) lists these on its website and will be happy to advise you if you have any questions.

Julia Silber Julia Silber