All about your studies

Photo: zinkevych/ Fotolia

All about your studies

Living in Nuremberg

Accommodation information for exchange students can be found here.

Living in halls of residence

The Studentenwerk (Student Services) webpages contain lots of tips about accommodation. Here you can find information about the Studentenwerk places of residence or the publicly subsidized external residences and apply via the Studentenwerk online form. Further information is available here.

The Studentenwerk also finds housing offers on the private housing markets in Erlangen and Nuremberg free of charge (private room finder service).

Private flat sharing

Please email Ms Christina Freundl for tips on finding accommodation on the private housing market.

Registering with the residents’ registration office and applying for a residence permit


As soon as you have your accommodation, you must register in person with your local residents’ registration office and provide your address.

Once you have registered, you must contact the immigration authority to request an appointment to apply for your residence permit (only applies to non-EU citizens). This appointment must take place around eight weeks before your visa expires. Click here to access the Nuremberg residents’ registration office and Nuremberg immigration authority websites.

Health and liability insurance

You can take out a health insurance policy with any of the statutory health insurance providers in Germany. An overview is available here. They generally charge a standard premium for student health and nursing care insurance. The monthly subscription premium is currently around 90 euros. Your insurance provider will issue you with a certificate regarding your insurance cover, which you must present upon enrolment.

For more information, visit the DAAD website.

We strongly recommend you take out private liability insurance. This is insurance that covers personal injury and property damage that you have caused yourself. The cost of private liability insurance is generally relatively low (around 5 euros per month). You can find information about the various options available here.

Student funding information

How much does a degree programme cost?

There are no tuition fees at Nuremberg Institute of technology; however, we do charge a semester fee of 116 euros per semester.

For day-to-day living in Germany, you will need an average monthly budget of around 700-800 euros. This will cover rent, travel costs, food, clothes, study resources, health insurance, phone, internet, radio and television licence fees, and leisure activities.

For more information, visit this DAAD webpage.


The Federal Training Assistance Act (BAföG) is a form of financial support granted to students at secondary schools and universities by the state and reserved primarily for German citizens. International students may only be entitled to claim BAföG support under certain circumstances (e.g. recognized refugees). Information is available from the Studentenwerk Erlangen-Nuremberg.


Nuremberg Institute of Technology does not provide any regular semester scholarships for international students and awards only a limited number of grants.

If you wish to apply for a scholarship, you should apply to a DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service) office in your home country before your stay in Germany. You can find information about this here.

The International Office offers a limited number of partial scholarships provided by the DAAD. These scholarships are awarded for special dedication to the university or as degree support for students who, through no fault of their own, find themselves in situations of great difficulty. Only international students who obtained their university entrance qualification outside Germany can apply. The next application period will be in February.

“Special Dedication” call for applications

“Degree Support” call for applications

Application form for “Degree Support”

For further information and an overview of scholarships and prices, please visit the Nuremberg Tech Student Funding Information webpages.



If your residence status allows, you can also take on a so-called “mini job” alongside your studies, for which your monthly earnings must not exceed 450 euros. Many students work in the restaurant trade, for example. Jobs as “undergraduate assistants” may also be offered from time to time in the faculties or as part of specific projects at the university.

Please bear in mind that your studies will require a lot of time and commitment and will only leave a limited amount of time for working. It is a good idea not to take on a part-time job during your first semester so that you can get used to the requirements of your study programme. By the time you start the second semester, you will have a better idea of how much time and energy you will have for a part-time job.

Culture and leisure in Nuremberg

In addition to its numerous museums and exhibitions, Nuremberg also has a world of culture for you to discover with musical performances and open-air concerts held at the Meistersingerhalle, Frankenhalle, and Tafelhalle and an extensive cultural programmes hosted by the opera house, theatre, and the city’s numerous “Kulturläden” culture centers.

You can find an overview of the current cultural and leisure events taking place in Nuremberg on the City of Nuremberg webpages.

You are, of course, very welcome to take part in the international culture programme offered by the International Office.


There are several counseling centers in and around the university offering support on any issues you may have at the start and throughout your studies.

The following Nuremberg Tech departments also have support contacts available to you:

  • The International Office supports international students at all stages of their studies and provides prospective students from outside of Germany with advice for the application process
  • The Student Counseling Service at Nuremberg Tech offers personal counseling to help students choose a programme, make decisions, and find a way around
  • The Student Advisory Service is your point of contact for any practical and formal issues relating to your study progress, for example enrolment, exam issues, practical semesters, changing degree programme, and leaves of absence
  • Peer advisors for your degree programme are on hand for any subject-specific questions you may have, as are the Faculty Advisors for your specific course (see your Faculty’s webpages)
  • The Language Center offers a diverse range of term-time language and bridging courses and a comprehensive DSH programme for prospective international students to help them improve their language skills before beginning their studies
  • For information about scholarship opportunities and advancement awards, please contact the Scholarship and Student Funding Advice Service
  • For students with children or dependent relatives, our University Family Service is on hand to offer support
  • The Career Service supports students in preparing to start their careers

For a brief overview of these and other services, please visit the Nuremberg Tech Counseling and Service Facilities page.

The Studentenwerk Erlangen-Nuremberg is not only a point of contact for accommodation and BAföG queries, it also offers support for psychological and psychotherapeutic difficulties and advice on legal matters such as purchasing and tenancy law.

For students from other EU states, the Nuremberg residents’ registration office is also responsible for any issues arising in connection with your right of residence.