All about your studies

Photo: zinkevych/ Fotolia

All about your studies

Living in Nuremberg

Accommodation information for exchange students from partner universities can be found on these pages.

Living in halls of residence

The Studentenwerk (Student Services) webpages contain lots of tips about accommodation. Here you can find information about the Studentenwerk places of residence or the publicly subsidized external residences and apply via the Studentenwerk online form. Further information

The Studentenwerk also finds housing offers on the private housing markets in Erlangen and Nuremberg free of charge (private room finder service).

Accommodations in the private housing markets

Please email Christina Freundl for tips on finding accommodation on the private housing market (e.g. shared flat “WG”). 

Registering with the residents’ registration office and applying for a residence permit

As soon as you have your accommodation, you must register in person with your local residents’ registration office and provide your address.

Approximately 8 weeks before your visa ends, you must apply for a residence permit (“Aufenthaltserlaubnis”); this applies only for non-EU citizens. To do this, please register on the online portal Mein Nuernberg and submit the appropriate form. You will then receive further information via the portal as well as a letter sent to your registered address (postal address) with your appointment.


Health and liability insurance

You can take out a health insurance policy with any of the statutory health insurance providers in Germany. An overview is available on this web page. They generally charge a standard premium for student health and nursing care insurance. The monthly subscription premium is currently around 100 euros. Your insurance provider will issue you with a certificate regarding your insurance coverage, which you must present upon enrolment.

For more information, visit the DAAD website.

We strongly recommend you take out private liability insurance. This is insurance that covers personal injury and property damage that you have caused yourself. The cost of private liability insurance is generally relatively low (around 5 euros per month). You can find information about the various options available on this page .

Student funding information

How much does it cost to study at the Ohm?

There are no tuition fees at the Technische Hochschule Nürnberg Georg Simon Ohm; there is only a semester fee to be paid each semester.

For day-to-day living in Germany, you will need an average monthly budget of around 700-935 euros. This will cover rent, travel costs, food, clothes, study resources, health insurance, phone, internet, radio and television licence fees, and leisure activities.

The DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service) has summarised some helpful information on these topics on this page . The Deutschen Studentenwerk (German student services) has also created a video with information about student funding in Germany.


The Federal Training Assistance Act (BAföG) is a form of financial support granted to students at secondary schools and universities by the state and reserved primarily for German citizens. International students may only be entitled to claim BAföG support under certain circumstances (e.g. recognised refugees). Information is available from the Studierendenwerk Erlangen-Nuremberg.

Scholarships and grants

The Technische Hochschule Nürnberg Georg Simon Ohm does not provide any regular semester scholarships for international students and awards only a limited number of grants.

If you wish to apply for a scholarship, you should apply to a DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service) office in your home country before your stay in Germany.You can find information on this under this  link.

  • Scholarships for special dedication to the university and final thesis grants

The International Office offers a limited number of partial scholarships provided by the DAAD. These scholarships are awarded for special dedication to the university or as degree support for students who, through no fault of their own, find themselves in situations of great difficulty. Only international students who obtained their university entrance qualification outside Germany can apply for this partial scholarship. The application deadline is 17 March 2024 .

More information about the scholarships is available online: 

  1. Scholarships for special dedication to the university
  2. Grants for final thesis phase
    Information and Application form
  • Academic grants for international students in need 

Are you an international student at the Ohm and are experiencing temporary difficulties financing your costs of living or find yourself in a difficult financial situation while writing your final thesis? If you meet the following conditions, you can apply for financial support at the International Office:

- You have completed all basic modules

- You are not receiving support from a third-party (state or privately-funded stipend/grant) or you are not receiving your financial maintenance

- Where applicable: You are in the thesis phase and cannot work in addition to your studies.

- Other financial constraints or emergency situations

Please download this form to submit a request. The form includes additional information about what documents you must submit along with your request.

Please send the completed form and all additionally required documents to: studienbeihilfe-internationalatth-nuernbergPunktde

  • Further information about student funding

For further information and an overview of scholarships and prices, please visit our Student funding information webpages.

If your residence status allows, you can also take on a so-called “mini job” alongside your studies, for which your monthly earnings must not exceed 520 euros. Many students work in the restaurant trade, for example. Jobs as “student assistants” may also be offered from time to time in the Faculties or as part of specific projects at the university.

Please bear in mind that your studies will require a lot of time and commitment and will only leave a limited amount of time for working. It is a good idea not to take on a part-time job during your first semester so that you can get used to the requirements of your study programme. By the time you start the second semester, you will have a better idea of how much time and energy you will have for a part-time job.

DAAD Prize

The DAAD prize is awarded to an international student at the Ohm in recognition of excellent academics and extraordinary community engagement.

More information about the DAAD Prize

Culture and leisure in Nuremberg

International Office’s cultural programme.


There are several counseling centers in and around the university offering support on any issues you may have at the start and throughout your studies.

The following departments at the Ohm also have support contacts available to you:

  • The International Office supports international students at all stages of their studies and provides prospective students from outside of Germany with advice for the application process
  • The Student Counseling Service at the Ohm offers personal counseling to help students choose a programme, make decisions, and navigate through the first phases on campus
  • The Student Advisory Service is your point of contact for any practical and formal issues relating to your study progress, for example enrolment, exam issues, practical semesters, changing degree programme, and leaves of absence
  • Peer advisors for your degree programme are on hand for any subject-specific questions you may have, as are the Faculty Advisors for your specific course (see your Faculty’s webpages)
  • The Language Center offers a diverse range of regular language courses as well as bridging courses and a comprehensive DSH programme for prospective international students to help them improve their language skills before beginning their studies
  • For information about scholarship opportunities and advancement awards, please visit the student funding information pages
  • For students with children or dependent relatives or students who are pregnant, our University Service for Family, Equality, and Occupational Health (HSFG) is on hand to offer support. The HSFG can also provide you with information concerning equality and advancement of women.
  • The Career Service supports students in preparing to start their careers

For a brief overview of these and other services, please visit the Ohm’s Counseling & Services pages.

The Studierendenwerk Erlangen-Nuremberg is not only a point of contact for accommodation and BAföG queries, it also offers support for psychological and psychotherapeutic difficulties and advice on legal matters such as purchasing and tenancy law.

For students from other EU states, the Nuremberg foreigners' registration office is also responsible for any issues arising in connection with your right of residence.