Current information


Studying abroad is still possible in principle and can be undertaken, if you wish and bearing your own risk. Please look closely into the required precautions and requirements that are described in the “Safety information” section below. Please observe the travel advisories related to the coronavirus pandemic from the Foreign Office while planning for the upcoming semester abroad and continually monitor the developments in the country or countries you intend to visit.

Photo: Staedtetrip/ Fotolia
Photo: Ekaterina Pokrovsky/ Fotolia

Ways to study abroad

On a daily basis, we see how our world is being impacted upon by the onward march of internationalization. Many companies prefer employees with international experience and automatically require recruits to be proficient in foreign languages.
By ensuring that your studies include a well-planned period of time spent abroad, you will have the opportunity to expand your subject knowledge from a different viewpoint, to experience a foreign culture, and therefore to significantly improve your proficiency in the language.

Spending time abroad is also a significant factor in your personal development. Flexibility and social competence are playing an increasingly important role in our society today. Spending a longer period of time in a foreign country and therefore having to engage on a personal level with the local culture and lifestyle promotes the development of those skills in particular.

Students have a large number of opportunities when it comes to spending part of their studies abroad:
They can complete a semester of studies abroad, attend a summer school, obtain a double degree, write their final thesis abroad or obtain a doctorate that involves one of the partner universities abroad.

Nuremberg Institute of Technology has cooperation agreements with around 160 partner universities worldwide. International university partnerships These partnerships between universities make it easier for students to spend a period of time abroad:

  • by waiving or reducing the course fee usually payable at the partner university
  • by recognizing the coursework achieved at the partner university
  • by ensuring that students are placed by and receive organizational support from the International Office
  • by providing financial support (subject to availability)
  • by providing accommodation in halls of residence (subject to availability)

Students who wish to make use of these benefits should enquire at the International Office as early as possible (at least 1 year before their stay abroad begins).

The OUTGOINGS Guide  will provide you with a summary of all of the essential tips and information about spending a semester studying at a partner university abroad.

Various testimonials from previous outgoing exchange students can be found on the Nuremberg Tech intranet.

Summary of all degree-related study abroad

With effect from the 2017 summer semester, all degree-related study abroad will be recorded across the university and will be officially documented in the Diploma Supplement, the annex to the final official transcript conferred upon you.  The “Record of degree-related study abroad” form required for this purpose can be found in the download center on the homepage of the Student Office. Please complete the record form and submit it to the Student Advisory Service after  completing your studies abroad  along with the  confirmation from the host university.


Studying abroad with Erasmus+

The explanatory video  about Erasmus can be found here: Study abroad with Erasmus+


Outgoing Erasmus students
The core of the Erasmus programme – degree-related study abroad – makes it possible for students to spend a period of 3 to 12 months studying  in one of the participating countries.

Studying abroad under the Erasmus programme
The Erasmus programme gives students the opportunity to study in another European country and to expand their social and cultural skills.
While doing so, they will familiarize themselves with the academic system of a university abroad and will benefit from the teaching and learning methods in use there.
After completing the first year of their degree programme, students can receive funding for a period of three to twelve months studying at a host university abroad, including in order to obtain a doctorate.

Who can receive funding?
Once they have completed the first year of their degree programme, all normally enrolled students at Nuremberg Institute of Technology can study at an Erasmus partner university in Europe. 

For how long can a student from Nuremberg Tech attend an Erasmus partner university in another EU country?

Students can receive funding for up to 12 months/360 days in each stage of their university studies (bachelor’s degree/ master’s degree). The total number of funded days for study purposes must not exceed 360.

What benefits does the Erasmus programme offer to students at Nuremberg Tech?
- A mobility allowance (330  to 450 euros, depending on the host country) per  month of funding
- Exemption from course fees at the host university
- Support in preparing for the stay abroad
- Study outcomes achieved abroad are recognized for academic purposes

Special funding for participants with a disability or students with a child
Special funding can be applied for by students with a degree of disability of 30% or greater. Special funding can also be awarded to students with a child. If either of these situations applies, please contact us to clarify next steps.
For further information, please visit the web pages of the DAAD:
-  Special grants for students with children
- Special grants for students with a disability      

The financial support that students receive for Erasmus+ stays abroad is determined by the differences in living costs in the destination countries (programme countries)

Mobility allowance per destination country:
Group 1: 450 euros per month
Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Ireland, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Norway, Sweden

Group 2: 390 euros per month
Austria, Belgium, Cyprus, France, Greece, Italy, Malta, Netherlands, Portugal,  Spain

Group 3: 330 euros per month
Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, North Macedonia, Poland, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Turkey

Learning Agreement

The Learning Agreement is an essential component of the Erasmus mobility programme. It identifies which subjects/courses you intend to take at the partner university and which credits will be accepted for transfer back to Nuremberg Tech.

The Learning Agreement must be completed and signed before your mobility begins. The Learning Agreement is arranged between the home university and host university and is valid after all parties have signed: the student and the respective examination boards at the Nuremberg Tech and the host university. 

Online Linguistic Support (OLS) and OLS Language Assessment
The European Commission has made online language support available – it can currently be accessed for 24 languages (Bulgarian, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Estonian, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Italian, Irish, Latvian, Lithuanian, Maltese, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Slovak, Slovenian,  Spanish, Swedish). 
The OLS language assessment in the respective main instructional language of their guest university programme is required for all Erasmus+ participants before their mobility begins. However, it does not form a selection criterion for funding under the Erasmus+ programme and does not apply to native speakers. The language test  assesses and documents a person’s current level of proficiency in a language. 
In addition, Erasmus+ participants can use the OLS language course to improve their foreign language proficiency in the instructional language or in the national language during their time abroad.

Agreements made with partner universities regarding specific levels of linguistic proficiency (a minimum of B2 level) must therefore not be confused with the online test.
When selecting participants, some other type of evidence must be provided for those linguistic proficiency requirements.

Grant Agreement
After submitting all supporting documents Erasmus students receive an Erasmus Grant Agreement. It is mandatory that this agreement be signed and submitted as an original before the study abroad begins.

Financial Disbursement
The first disbursement at 70% is issued at the beginning of the study abroad. The remaining 30% is disbursed in a second payment after the Erasmus study abroad has concluded and the documentation of the end of the mobility has been received.

Notice regarding requirement to submit a report
All students who receive funding and have participated in an Erasmus+ mobility measure are obliged to write a report about the Mobility Tool Plus once the measure is complete and to submit it together with the relevant documentation.

All Erasmus+ programme grantees from Nuremberg Tech are obliged to secure adequate insurance coverage for the entire duration of the Erasmus study abroad (including travel to and from the host country).
This includes, in particular:

  • health insurance for the entire duration of the time abroad. It is important to note that national health insurance with a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) only provides basic insurance coverage. Often this is insufficient, specifically, if return transport to your home country or special medical interventions are necessary. Therefore, it is highly recommended to arrange for additional supplementary insurance.
  • Liability insurance
  • Accident insurance
  • Life insurance (recommended)

It is also important that the insurance policies take effect in the case of a pandemic. Furthermore, all grantees are obliged to determine if any additional insurance coverage is required in the host country and, if so, to secure such insurance policies.

Health and safety
Please be aware of all of the information provided in the section “Safety information”. Current information and links about the coronavirus pandemic are available in this section.

The coronavirus pandemic and Erasmus+
We would like to emphasize that the Erasmus+ programme places the highest priority on health and safety. With the coronavirus pandemic in mind, we urgently ask all participants to research the current situation in their host country and any travel restrictions during the planning phase and/or before beginning a stay abroad; we also recommend considering beginning an Erasmus mobility virtually (online) and continuing in-person at a later date. The DAAD has a Corona-FAQ (in German) that is useful for students.
If you proceed with your Erasmus mobility in-person, please be sure that you have adequate insurance coverage if you will be visiting areas under travel warning or in the event of a pandemic. This is recommended urgently because not all international health insurance policies cover such cases.


How does one apply to study abroad under the Erasmus programme?
Interested students should please read the Erasmus Guide first of all and should then get in touch with the International Office.
Amongst other things, we will inform you where you can study abroad, how to apply , and what procedures have to be completed in order to obtain an Erasmus grant.

The selection criteria used when deciding whether to award a place to study on the Erasmus programme include factors such as the motivation, linguistic proficiency, and academic performance of the applicant.

Erasmus+ Students’ Charter
The rights and duties of students under the Erasmus+ programme are governed by the “Erasmus+ Students’ Charter”, a copy of which is provided to all students before their stay abroad begins.fileadmin/zentrale-einrichtungen/szs/io/io_docs/Erasmus__Charta_für_Studierende_DE.pdf

Information and application

Additional information and advice concerning the Erasmus mobility measures can also be obtained from the:

German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD)
National Agency for EU Higher Education Cooperation
Kennedyallee 50
53115 Bonn
Tel: +49(0)228/882-8877
Fax: +49(0)228/882-555
Email: erasmusatdaadPunktde

Point of contact in the International Office

Linguistic proficiency

When submitting your application for a semester abroad, you will be required to provide evidence of a good knowledge in the teaching language of the partner university (Level B2/C1). The specific language requirements are set by the individual partner universities or exchange programmes themselves.
At many partner universities, courses are conducted in the English language.
It is however recommended to acquire a basic knowledge of the national language of the country concerned before applying, as it won’t always be possible to get by in everyday life using English.

In many cases, partner universities will test your linguistic proficiency again at the start of the semester abroad. When applying for a grant or a BAföG for study abroad, you will be required to provide evidence of your knowledge of the teaching language.

There are many ways to acquire and increase your knowledge of a language. For example, the Language Center at Nuremberg Tech offers a wide range of courses in various foreign languages, including courses preparing candidates for the TOEFL qualification.
Current evidence of linguistic proficiency that can also be obtained from the Language Center at Nuremberg Tech, are:

- language courses you have completed successfully (depending on the partner university: B2/C1 level)
- the course in Business English or Technical English (B2 level)
- the DAAD Language Certificate (C1 level)
- TOEFL (minimum score depending on the partner university and the type of test IbT, PbT, CbT)
- IELTS 6.0 - 6.5 (C1 level)

Students at our university are generally able to take part in these courses free of charge.
If you do not already have any explicit evidence of your linguistic proficiency, you can take a placement test at the Language Center and receive certification confirming your current level of linguistic proficiency. 

Students who wish to increase their linguistic proficiency through conversation with a native speaker can get in touch with suitable speakers by means of the Language Tandem programme operated by the International Office: sprachtandematth-nuernbergPunktde

The cultural and leisure activities organized by the International Office also provide an opportunity to enter into conversations with international students at Nuremberg Tech and practise the foreign language.

Furthermore, many partner universities offer intensive courses before the start of the semester and operate regular language courses in the national language during the semester itself. 

ECTS and credit transfers

In all cases, decisions regarding the recognition of coursework achieved abroad are taken by the examination board of the relevant Faculty.  
As a future exchange student and before commencing your studies abroad, you should clarify with the examination board of your Faculty at Nuremberg Tech which of the courses or examinations you will take at the partner university can be recognized towards your degree once you have returned. 
Please note that the provisions in the Examination Regulations concerning any deadlines must also be clarified prior to commencing any period abroad. The International Office will not accept any liability for any disadvantage you may suffer as a result of failing to follow regulations or instructions.
For students studying abroad under the Erasmus programme, the Learning Agreement should act as a guide when selecting courses and provide the highest degree of certainty that the outcomes they achieve abroad will be recognized on their return.   Before commencing your stay abroad, please make sure that your Learning Agreement is signed off by the examination board of your Faculty. 
You can however make changes to the Learning Agreement during the first few weeks of your semester abroad, in consultation with the examination board.

What is ECTS?
ECTS (European Credit Transfer System and Accumulation System) is a project of the European Commission that sets out to facilitate the recognition of academic coursework achieved abroad. Individual institutions and/or faculties are able to decide whether or not to participate in the ECTS. ECTS is based on a trustful collaboration between the participating universities in Europe and is therefore governed by only a small number of rules. The fixed components of ECTS are: ECTS credits, ECTS grades, Learning Agreements, and the Transcript of Records.

What are ECTS credits?
ECTS credits represent the work and effort expended by a student in connection with the course concerned. The assignment of credits to the individual courses is carried out by the universities themselves as they see fit. One semester of full-time study corresponds to 30 ECTS credits (and one year is therefore equivalent to 60 ECTS credits and one term is equivalent to 20 ECTS credits). Credits are awarded once a student has successfully completed the relevant coursework or examination. ECTS credits can only be awarded for courses that form part of a student’s enrolled degree programme.

What are ECTS grades?
The grades for a particular course are awarded in accordance with the grading system in use at the university concerned. In order to make it easy for grades to be converted into the grading system in use at the student’s home university, a descriptive ECTS grading system was developed, though it does not replace the national grading system in any way.

How does the ECTS operate?

By agreement with the ECTS Coordinator, students from participating universities can spend part of their degree programme at one of the established ECTS partner universities.
Your host university will issue you with an information package consisting of this general guide, known as the “International Student Guide”, together with the ECTS Handbook for the Faculty concerned. In the future, those handbooks will also be made available online. The handbooks contain a description of the subject area and the degree programme. They also contain details about the content of all courses offered, the credits awarded for them, the type of examination, etc.

Before the student departs, the courses the student should attend are specified precisely in the Learning Agreement drawn up between the two partner universities and their official contacts.  Changes during the student’s stay abroad must be discussed with both official contacts involved. Once the student returns to their home university, their coursework can be recognized by means of the Transcript of Records. This ensures that the student does not lose any time due to the fact that they spent time abroad.

Double degree programmes


  • Sapienza University of Rome, Italy

    This double degree programme is designed for students in the International Finance and Economics master’s degree programme. Further information is available in this pdf.





  • Sino-German College of Applied Sciences at Tongji University, Shanghai, China                           

    This double degree programme is designed for students in the degree programmes in Mechanical Engineering-Automotive Engineering, Mechatronics, and Building Services Engineering Further information is available in this pdf. fileadmin/global/Gelenkte_Doks/Abt/SZS/IO/IO_4910_HR_Doppelabschluss_CDHAW_public.pdf
    The point of contact is the International Office and the contacts within the Faculties are:

    • Mechanical Engineering/Automotive Engineering: Prof. Ulrich Grau
    • Mechatronics: Prof. Frank Pöhlau
    • Building Services Engineering: Prof. Michael Deichsel


  • University of the Sunshine Coast

    This double degree programme is designed for students who have completed at least 120 ECTS in the Business Administration and International Business bachelor’s degree programmes   and students in the master’s degree programme in International Marketing.
    The point of contact is the International Office and Prof. Kai-Uwe Wellner at the Faculty of Business Administration.


Funding opportunities

Funding a one- or two-semester period of study abroad is not always easy, as it is often associated with additional costs. There are however a large number of grants and funding programmes that may provide you with financial support while studying abroad.

A list of selected offers is available below. When applying, make sure that you apply by the relevant deadline, that your application documents are complete, and that you meet all of the funding criteria.

Funding programmes for studying in Europe

  • Erasmus+

Funding for one or two semesters of study at one of Nuremberg Tech’s partner universities. The amount of funding is determined by the destination country, and students receiving Erasmus grants do not pay any course fees.

  • Deutschlandstipendium

Only two to three per cent of students in Germany currently receive a grant. That figure is very low compared to other industrialized nations. Nuremberg Institute of Technology would like to change that and has been issuing Deutschlandstipendien to students since the winter semester 2011.


The Bavarian Academic Center for Central, Eastern and Southeastern Europe (BAYHOST) is an institution set up by all universities, universities of applied sciences and universities of the arts in Bavaria and awards grants for study and research stays, summer language courses and internships in Central, Eastern and Southeastern Europe.

  • The GFPS grant programme

The “Gemeinschaft für studentischen Austausch in Mittel - und Osteuropa (GFPS) e.V.” (Association for Student Exchanges in Central and Eastern Europe) awards grants for periods of study in Poland and the Czech Republic.

  • BFHZ

The Franco-Bavarian University Cooperation Center awards mobility allowances to students at Bavarian universities planning a period of study or taking up an internship at an institution of higher education in France.

Funding programmes for studying in Asia, Australia and New Zealand

  • BayCHINA

The Bavarian University Center for China awards grants for periods of study, internships, and writing final theses in China.

  • BayIND

The Bavarian-Indian Center for Business and University Cooperation awards grants for periods of study, research stays, and summer schools in India.

  • Institut Ranke-Heinemann

Full or partial grants, and grants to cover travel costs for a period of study in Australia or New Zealand

  • GOstralia!

Full or partial grants, and grants to cover travel costs for a period of study in Australia

Dates vary, depending on the issuing university

Funding programmes for study in North, Central, or South America

  • Fulbright

The German-American Fulbright Commission awards grants for periods of study at US universities and grants to cover travel costs.

  • Institut Ranke-Heinemann

Grants for a period of study in Canada


The Bavarian Academic Center for Latin America awards grants for periods of study, internships, and writing final theses in Latin America.

Funding programmes for study worldwide

  • PROMOS: A programme to enhance student mobility

Grants and travel cost allowances for periods of study or internships for students from Nuremberg Tech, worldwide. These are issued by the International Office at Nuremberg Tech.
Information and Applying

  • Fonds Hochschule International

The Bavarian State Ministry of Sciences, Research and the Arts awards grants to encourage students to undertake periods of study or internships abroad. The grant is awarded by the International Office at Nuremberg Tech.
Requirement: The grant is awarded based on need. Students must have completed all of their basic modules and have achieved a good academic performance.

Application must be made before the stay abroad begins.

  • DAAD

The German Academic Exchange Service is the first port of call when it comes to organizing periods of study abroad. It provides a database of grants, ranging from grants for a full year in any country and any subject, grants for combined study and internships abroad, grants for language courses, etc.

  • Studienstiftung des deutschen Volkes (German Academic Scholarship Foundation)

This organization awards grants for periods of study and research, as well as for internships abroad (Europe, Asia, USA).

  • The MyStipendium grants database

An extensive database listing funding opportunities and grants for periods spent abroad

  • Associations providing grants for outstanding students

These associations award grants and provide study support for periods spent abroad.

Funding by means of BAföG for study abroad and loans

  • BAföG for study abroad

Even students who are not entitled to receive BAföG in Germany can in some cases apply for BAföG for study abroad. Over and above the funding provided to students studying in Germany, BAföG for study abroad can also include allowances for travel costs, health insurance, and a supplement for studying abroad. Different BAföG abroad offices are responsible for awarding grants, depending on the destination country.

Applications must be submitted at least 6 months before the stay abroad commences.

  • Educational loan

The German Federal Government has set up a system of educational loans for students undertaking advanced level studies: a total loan amount of 1,000 euros to 7,200 euros, optionally available in 24 monthly instalments of 100 euros, 200 euros or 300 euros, a very favourable interest rate, simple to apply for online, repayments are not required until four years after the first amount was paid out, and a low monthly repayment rate amounting to 120 euros.

  • Student loan from KfW Bank

The KfW Banking Group issues student loans for studies and internships (including abroad) during the advanced stage of the degree programme.


At present, Nuremberg Institute of Technology has  around 160 cooperation agreements in place with international partner universities for the purposes of student exchanges, approximately 80 of which are financed by the EU’s Erasmus education programme.

All normally enrolled students at the Nuremberg Institute of Technology are entitled to apply for a study place on our exchange programmes. Such exchange visits will be for a duration of between three and twelve months, depending on the programme involved. As part of these programmes, you may also write your final thesis during your time abroad.  While studying abroad, you will continue to be enrolled at our university.  

All applications for study places submitted in connection with exchange programmes are processed via the Nuremberg Institute of Technology’s International Office. 

Please approach the International Office and the appropriate academic coordinator within your Faculty in good time in order to obtain information concerning partner universities and possible funding opportunities, and to submit your application. Where possible, it is important that you begin planning your study abroad a year in advance of the commencement of your planned stay abroad.


Application process

Applications for an exchange semester at one of our partner universities must be submitted to the International Office by using our online form. 

Please register on the platform, complete the online form with all required information, and upload the following documents as pdf files:

  • A cover letter written in the respective teaching language of your first-choice partner university
  • CV in table format and in the relevant teaching language, together with a photo, if necessary
  • Documentation of proficiency in the relevant national or teaching language of your first-choice partner university
  • Current transcript of records
  • Copy of your current confirmation of enrolment


On your application form, you should always indicate at least two alternatives to your first-choice partner university. Your application should be directed towards your first-choice partner university.

After you submit your application online, a pdf of your complete application will be generated.
Please have the academic coordinator at your Faculty responsible for the partner university (see the Faculty-specific overview of partner universities) sign the application form and send it to the IO via email (outgoingsatth-nuernbergPunktde).  

Submitting more than one application is not permitted.
It is also not permitted to submit an application directly - without being processed through the International Office -  to a partner university .


Application deadlines:

for the summer semester 2022 - no later than 31 July 2021
for the winter semester 2022/2023 - no later than 31 January 2022 

Candidates will be selected by the International Office by agreement with the relevant academic coordinator. Around four to six weeks after the closing date for applications, you will be informed whether you have been nominated for a suitable study place.
Before commencing your stay abroad, you should also familiarize yourself with the situation in your host country.
Amongst other organizations, the DAAD ( and the German Foreign Office ( provide useful information on their websites.

Safety information

Information about general safety precautions

Studying abroad is still possible in principle in any country and can be undertaken, if you wish and bearing your own risk. Please note the following general information about safety precautions in your planning:

  • Submit your information in any case to the crisis provision list “Elefand” at the German Foreign Office for German citizens
  • Remember your health care provisions (travel health insurance, vaccinations, prophylaxis, first-aid items, and medications)
  • Educate yourself about your host country and what behaviours are appropriate there
  • Make note of important emergency numbers
  • Copy/scan important documents

A detailed overview of the most important safety precautions with links is available in the following checklist from the DAAD: Information about general safety precautions

Travel and safety information from the German Foreign Office

The Foreign Office offers the app “Sicher Reisen” and publishes travel information, safety information, and travel warnings regularly.

  • Travel information will cover the entry requirements of a country, medical information, particular legal information (criminal and customs law). The information provided is regularly reviewed and updated.
  • Safety information brings attention to special risks for travellers and for Germans living abroad. They may contain recommendations to refrain or restrict travel. As may be appropriate, there may be an explicit advisory against undertaking not absolutely necessary travel or any travel at all. The information is regularly reviewed and updated.
  • Travel warnings are urgent appeals from the Foreign Office to refrain from traveling to a country or region of a country. They are only issued, if it is necessary to warn against travel to a country or a region of a country due to an acute danger to limb and life. Travel warnings are only seldom issued. Germans who live in a country for which a travel warning is issued may be summoned to leave the country.

Travel and safety information as well as travel warnings are based on information available to the Foreign Office at a given time that is considered reliable by that office. A guarantee that the information is correct and complete as well as liability for possible damages cannot be assumed.

The Foreign Office continues to urgently advise securing travel health insurance with repatriation insurance if travelling abroad.

Information related to the Covid-19 pandemic:

The spread of Covid-19 continues to lead to severe restrictions on international air traffic and travel, entry restrictions, quarantine measures, and disruption of public life, such as curfews, in many countries. Changes to the regulations are sometimes made without any advance notice and with immediate effect. Some countries require a negative PCR test result for entry.
In a case of infection locally, the quarantine measures of the country you are visiting must be followed; repatriation is not possible.

Please visit the homepage of the Foreign Office as well as the Robert Koch Institute about the current Covid-19 situation, regularly.


Can I complete a semester abroad at a higher education institution abroad that is not a partner university of Nuremberg Tech?

In the case of institutions that are not partner universities of Nuremberg Tech, you must submit your application yourself as what is known as a “free mover”. To do that, you must contact the institution you want to attend, for example their International Office, and ask whether it accepts non-degree-seeking free movers for a period of one semester (and if so, subject to what conditions).

In such cases, you will need to make degree-programme specific agreements yourself and will largely be responsible for solving administrative issues yourself.

What are the semester dates at the university’s partner institutions abroad?

In many cases, the semester dates at partner institutions abroad differ from the semester dates at Nuremberg Tech. At many partner universities, the Autumn/Fall Term (equivalent to our winter semester) starts as early as August/September and the Spring Term (the equivalent of our summer semester) begins as soon as January/February. It may therefore be the case that a study semester can only be taken in either the winter or summer semester, as the start of the semester coincides with our examination phase. What is more, the compulsory orientation event at the partner university will take place before the start of the semester.

Please visit the homepages of the individual partner universities for details about semester dates, or consult the faculty-specific overview of partner institutions.

Where can I live?

Generally speaking, exchange students are accommodated in halls of residence belonging to the partner university, assuming sufficient places are available. If students cannot or do not wish to be accommodated in a hall of residence, the International Office at the partner university will help the exchange student find private accommodation.

Where can I find testimonials from previous outgoing exchange students?

Testimonials from previous outgoing exchange students can be found on our intranet.

What are the deadlines for applications for a semester abroad?

Applications to spend a semester at a partner university can be submitted at two times during the year. Application documents must be submitted to the International Office in full by email only, in time for the following deadlines:

• For the subsequent winter semester: 31 January
• For the subsequent summer semester: 31 July

What documents must I submit?

You must attach the following documents to your application:

  • Application form The application form (please do not complete by hand), signed by the relevant Project Coordinator for your first-choice partner university

  • A letter of application written in the relevant teaching language of your first-choice partner university

  • CV in table format and in the relevant teaching language, together with a photo 

  • Evidence of proficiency in the relevant national or teaching language of your first-choice partner university

  • Current transcript of records 

  • Copy of your current confirmation of enrolment

Please scan your application documents as a PDF file , ensuring that they are complete and clearly legible , and send them to us via email. Please name the file as follows: Surname_Forename_University applied for_Desired semester.pdf. Example: Schmidt_Klara_TecdeMonterrey_SoSe2019.pdf

Where can I find information about partner institutions?

In the first instance, please visit the homepage of the International Office (IO) to find out which partner institutions have cooperation agreements with your Faculty. You can also obtain valuable and useful information (subject selection, travel tips, etc.) from the homepages of the partner institutions themselves and from testimonials from students who have already been abroad.

How is the stay abroad funded?

If you are spending a semester at one of Nuremberg Tech’s Erasmus partner universities within the EU, you can obtain an Erasmus grant. Once you have successfully applied to spend a semester studying at an Erasmus partner university, the IO will give you all of the information and documents that you need to apply for an Erasmus grant. If you are spending a semester studying outside the Erasmus+ programme, you will not receive any grant directly associated with the university place you have obtained. You are however able to request a grant via the BAföG for study abroad or via a grants programme. A list of selected funding opportunities can be found on the homepage of the International Office.

Will I need to pay course fees?

If you can be placed as an exchange student at one of our partner universities, you will be exempt from course fees by virtue of the cooperation agreement. Exceptions to this apply in the USA, Australia, and South Africa. In individual cases, please clarify with the relevant country advisory unit what fees will be payable at your desired university.

What courses can I choose?

In most cases, the partner university will only send you a list of courses available during your semester abroad once you have made your application. We recommend that before applying, you look on the website of the partner university to find out the courses currently open to exchange students. Generally speaking, the list of courses offered to exchange students changes very little.

What must I do to have my studies recognized?

In all cases, decisions regarding the recognition of coursework from abroad are taken by the examination board of your degree programme. As a future exchange student and before commencing your semester abroad, you should clarify with the examination board of your degree programme at Nuremberg Tech which of the courses you will have completed at the partner university can be recognized once you have returned. In many cases, the examination boards also have lists of courses at the partner university that have already been recognized in the past.
For those courses to be recognized, the examination board will require full descriptions of the modules of the individual courses at the partner university. Please note that the provisions in the Examination Regulations concerning any deadlines must also be clarified prior to commencing any period abroad.

Will I need to prove my linguistic proficiency before the start of the semester abroad?

Yes, valid evidence of linguistic proficiency forms part of the full application.

Under the Erasmus programme, you are required to provide evidence of linguistic proficiency in the relevant teaching language at a minimum of B2 level. Language courses taken at Nuremberg Tech (such as Business English or English for Technicians) count for that purpose. Please ask the Language Center to issue a confirmation of participation (in English). If you can provide evidence of linguistic proficiency at a higher level (such as TOEFL, IELTS, DAAD language certificate, etc.), this can also be used. Any statements of linguistic proficiency listed on your high-school diploma certificate cannot be accepted as part of your application.

If you do not already have any documentation of your linguistic proficiency, you can take a placement test at the Language Center and receive certification confirming your current level of proficiency.
For all other cooperation agreements with universities, it is the case that: The Exchange Coordinator in the IO will be able to tell you what evidence of linguistic proficiency is required and what minimum level applies. In the case of the English language, the most usual types of documentation are

• TOEFL (minimum score depending on the type of test IbT, PbT, CbT) (

• IELTS 6.0 – 6.5

• DAAD Language Certificate (C1 level)


The partner university will decide what proof of linguistic proficiency is required.

When will I find out whether I will receive a place abroad?

Once the closing date for applications has passed, we will process the applications we have received. We will inform you within 3-5 weeks whether you will be able to do an exchange with the partner university of your choice. After that, we will nominate you at the partner university. This means that we will inform the partner university that we will be placing you as an exchange student.
If we are unable to nominate you, we will provide you with an alternative suggestion, if necessary.

What will happen once I have successfully been nominated by Nuremberg Tech?

Once you have been nominated by the IO, we will inform the partner universities and will inform you soon afterwards what additional documents and information the partner university requires for your ongoing application (external application). You will receive detailed information about this directly from the partner university or from the IO, once you have been nominated. Once your application documents have been submitted to the partner university in full, you will receive a letter of acceptance from the host university in good time before the start of your semester abroad.

How do I apply for the Erasmus grant?

Almost all of Nuremberg Tech’s partner universities located within the EU are part of the Erasmus programme. When you apply for a place to study at one of Nuremberg Tech’s Erasmus partner universities, the IO will send you additional documentation and information about how to apply for an Erasmus grant, once you have been successfully nominated. 


The  OUTGOINGS Guide  will provide you with a summary of all of the essential tips and information about spending a semester studying at a partner university abroad.

Please contact us, at any time, if you have any questions related to studying abroad at our new email address:


Country advisory unit - Europe (Erasmus+ programme) and Australia

Country advisory unit for North, Central and South America, Russia and Ukraine