Photo: contrastwerkstatt/ Fotolia
Photo: anyaberkut/ Fotolia


Internships abroad are still possible in principle and can be undertaken, if you wish and bearing your own risk. To begin with, please look closely into the required precautions and requirements that are described in the “Safety information” section below. Please observe the travel advisories related to the coronavirus pandemic from the Foreign Office while planning for anticipated internships abroad and continually monitor the developments in the country or countries you intend to visit.


An internship abroad is an excellent opportunity to obtain some international experience while studying for your degree. As well as being a great addition to your CV, an internship abroad allows you to put your academic knowledge to use in practice while significantly expanding your personal horizon and improving your knowledge of a foreign language  at first hand in the country where it is spoken.

Before commencing their internship, many students initially have a lot of questions regarding how their internship abroad is organized: What is the best way forward; where should I start? How can a find a suitable position? When must I apply? What formalities need to be taken into account? How can I fund my stay?

The International Office provides the following types of assistance:

  • Advice about the best way forward, about formalities, and about funding programmes

  • Contacts within companies/institutions and current vacancies

  • Application handbooks available on loan

  • The issuing of the necessary certifications

  • Testimonials on the experiences of previous interns abroad

 Christina Hempel is responsible for providing advice of all types relating to internships abroad.  During opening hours, students can call by the International Office in person, or get in touch by email or telephone.

Before receiving any personal advice, you should take the time to read our LEITFADEN AUSLANDSPRAKTIKUM (INTERNSHIPS ABROAD – A GUIDE).

University contacts for internships abroad and details of current vacancies are available via the university intranet. You will also find testimonials on the experiences of previous interns abroad.




Summary of all degree-related study abroad

With effect from the 2017 summer semester, all degree-related study abroad will be recorded across the university and will be officially documented in the Diploma Supplement, the annex to the final official transcript conferred upon you.  The “Record of degree-related study abroad” form required for this purpose can be found in the download center on the homepage of the Student Office. Please complete the record form and submit it to the Student Advisory Service after completing your internship abroad, along with your internship contract.

Searching for a position

Looking for a suitable internship position requires initiative, motivation, and commitment. The following tips may be useful when searching for a position:

Employment contacts within the International Office:
The TH intranet contains a large number of EMPLOYMENT CONTACTS within companies/institutions that may take on interns. The contacts are updated regularly and, in many cases, the positions in question have already been occupied in the past by interns from Nuremberg Tech. We will also provide details of CURRENT VACANCIES.

Nuremberg Tech's jobs listings
In addition to jobs and internships within Germany, the university jobs listings, “Jobbörse”, also offers details of job and internship opportunities abroad.

Internet portals and search engines 
Many websites and portals provide job advertisements or search engines for internships domestically and abroad free of charge. Here are just a few examples:

Internship agencies
There is a large number of exchange organizations and organizations acting as internship agencies. Many of those are free to use, but others charge intermediation fees. Examples of intermediary organizations that operate free of charge can be found in the LEITFADEN AUSLANDSPRAKTIKUM (INTERNSHIPS ABROAD – A GUIDE).

Further tips and links

  • Contact former employers and ask for contacts abroad
  • Speak to the lecturers from your courses (many of them have contacts abroad)
  • German Chambers of Commerce Abroad
  • The “Wege ins Auslandspraktikum” (Routes towards an Internship Abroad) initiative
  • > an initiative by the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research and the DAAD
  • German Academic Exchange Service > Infos für Deutsche (Information for German citizens) > Praktika im Ausland (Internships abroad)
  • Internship portal “Study & Work International” (an initiative that forms part of the Bavarian “hochschule dual” project)

Applying and preparing

  • When? As a rule of thumb: For internships in Europe, you should allow for around 6 months of preparation time and for internships outside of Europe, between 6 and 12 months.
  • How? Nowadays, applications are mostly made by email or directly, via an online application portal. When applying, make sure you follow the country-specific conventions when making applications (such as the differences between a CV when applying to the UK and when applying to the USA).
    Application handbooks containing tips and examples are available from the university library or directly from us in the International Office.
  • In the Language Center, you can find a range of courses or workshops that will prepare you linguistically and interculturally for a period spent abroad. A special consultation with lecturers provides an opportunity to have CVs and application letters corrected by a native speaker of the language concerned.
  • Each semester, the Career Service organizes a multifaceted range of seminars (such as application training, etc.) and will provide individual consultations if needed.

University formalities

As a general principle, you have the right to complete a compulsory or voluntary internship in another country.

Compulsory internship semester

If you wish to complete your compulsory internship semester in another country, you can have it recognized in full by your Faculty. In order to achieve this, it is fundamentally important that you follow the degree programme-specific instructions of the Faculty concerned.
Please find out, in light of recent developments, about any conditions your Faculty may have in place related to the coronavirus pandemic (restrictions, special regulations).

If you have a prospective job or have received a firm offer of a job, you can check in the internships database (virtuohm) whether the institution has already been approved for your degree programme. If an approval has not yet been saved in the system, you will need to complete a registration form for the company/institution that is not yet registered and have it signed by the academic internship coordinator in your Faculty.

As a final step, you can take the steps needed to obtain the official Training Contract. This will be signed by you, the institution offering the internship, and the academic placement coordinator of the Faculty concerned and then submitted in triplicate to the Student Advisory Service.

Voluntary internship

In the case of a voluntary internship, the university formalities do not apply. A contract is concluded directly between yourself and the institution providing the internship.

A voluntary internship is something that can easily be completed during a leave of absence, for example. An application for leave of absence can be made at the Student Advisory Service (the internship must last at least 2 months)

NEW: Summary of all degree-related study abroad

With effect from the 2017 summer semester, all degree-related study abroad will be recorded across the university and will be officially documented in the Diploma Supplement, the annex to the final official transcript conferred upon you.  The “Record of degree-related study abroad” form required for this purpose can be found in the download center on the homepage of the Student Office. Please complete the record form and submit it to the Student Advisory Service before commencing your internship abroad, along with your internship contract.

Funding opportunities

Today, a large number of funding opportunities are available to provide financial support during internships abroad. A selection of the most usual funding programmes can be found in the overview entitled STIPENDIEN AUSLANDSPRAKTIKUM (Grants for internships abroad)

When applying, make sure that you apply by the relevant deadline, that your application documents are complete, and that you meet all of the funding criteria!

Funding of internships under the Erasmus+ programme

The video is available here: Study abroad or an internship under the Erasmus+ programme?

Who can receive funding?

  • All students enrolled at Nuremberg Tech with a scheduled graduation date are eligible for funding. No funding is available for exchange students
  • Students spending a period of residence abroad in a country that forms part of the programme may only receive funding if the country concerned is neither the country in which the sending institution is located, nor the student’s country of habitual residence
  • Students not receiving additional funding under any other EU programme

Funding for graduates

Under the Erasmus+ programme, Nuremberg Institute of Technology also awards grants to graduates. The following conditions apply:

  • participants must still be enrolled as students at the time of application
  • participants must have been removed from the student register by the time the internship begins
  • the participant must not yet have reached the maximum duration of funding during their bachelor’s or master’s degree programme

Post-graduation funding of up to 12 months is possible.

What can funding be provided for? 

  • Compulsory internships and voluntary placements of two months (60 days) or longer. In accordance with the definition laid down by the European Commission, 1 month of funding is always equivalent to 30 days precisely.
  • Programme-related internships that form part of the curriculum
  •  Full-time internships involving at least 30 working hours per week

Duration of funding:
Mobility allowances for Erasmus+ internships can be granted for a period of at least two months of funding (60 days) up to a maximum of 12 months of funding (360 days).
Students may have recourse to funding on more than one occasion, but for no more than 12 months per study cycle (bachelor’s or master's degree programme).

Under the 2019/20 Erasmus+ programme, internships can be taken in the period from 1 June 2019 to 30 September 2020.

Hosting institutions:
Hosting institutions for internships and practical stays can either be universities or any other institution located in one of the programme countries that is active on the labour market or in the field of general or vocational education.


  • EU institutions or other EU bodies, including specialist agencies (a full list is available here)
  • Bodies administering EU programmes (e.g. national agencies), so as to avoid conflicts of interest or dual funding

Countries eligible for funding: 
EU Member States:
Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom

Programme countries outside the EU:
Iceland, Liechtenstein, North Macedonia, Norway, Serbia, Turkey

Items for which funding is available

Funded students receive an allowance towards their living costs. The level of funding is based on the different living costs in the destination countries and is subdivided into three groups. For the winter semester 2019/20 and the summer semester 2020, the funding rates are as follows:

  • Country group 1: €555 per month of funding: Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Ireland, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Norway, Sweden, United Kingdom
  • Country group 2: €495 per month of funding: Austria, Belgium, Cyprus, France, Greece, Italy, Malta, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain
  • Country group 3: €435 per month of funding: Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, North Macedonia, Poland, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Turkey

Special funding for participants with a disability or students with a child
Special funding can be applied for by students with a degree of disability of 30% or greater. Special funding can also be awarded to students with a child. If either of these situations applies, please contact us.

How can I apply for funding?

  • As soon as you have received confirmation that your internship has been accepted, you can submit the PARTICIPANT COVER PAGE together with the additional documentation required in Step 1 to the International Office by email. If a contract does not yet exist, this can be submitted later where appropriate. When making your application, please follow our Erasmus+ internship GUIDE
  • To ensure that your application is processed in time, applications should be submitted two months before the internship begins. Applications submitted later can be accepted if agreed with the IO, if sufficient time is still available before the internship. It must be possible for all formalities to be completed before the internship begins.
  • Applications for Erasmus+ internship funding will be processed strictly in order of receipt. In addition to submitting the application in time, the criteria for the issuing of grants also require that the documentation submitted should be complete, the formal requirements must be fulfilled, and the funding monies must be available.

Compulsory language tests
The European Commission has made an online language test available – it can currently be taken in 24 languages (Bulgarian, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Estonian, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Italian, Irish, Latvian, Lithuanian, Maltese, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish). All students/graduates are required to complete this test in the principal working language both before and after their period of mobility. However, it does not form a selection criterion for funding under the Erasmus+ programme and does not apply to native speakers. The language test is used as a placement test to document a person’s current level of proficiency in the language concerned. The language test will take place both before and after the period abroad in order to obtain comparable results and in order to record any advances that the participant has made in terms of language acquisition.

Concluding formalities
Once their internship has come to an end, all funding recipients who have taken part in an Erasmus+ mobility action are obliged to complete the following concluding formalities:

  • They must submit a reference from a qualified person
  • They must take part in the EU survey regarding the mobility tool
  • They must undergo a second OLS language test
  • They must submit a testimonial

Erasmus+ Students’ Charter
The rights and duties of students under the Erasmus+ programme are governed by the “Erasmus+ Students’ Charter”, a copy of which is handed to all students before their stay abroad begins.

Christina Hempel
Tel.: +49 (0)911 5880 4113

Visas and entry into Germany

Visa/work permit

Nationals of EU and EEA Member States are entitled to work in another country belonging to the EU, without obtaining a visa or work permit.

Outside the EU
If you are undertaking an internship in a non-EU Member State, you will need a visa or a work permit. For information, the best thing is to contact the embassy of the relevant country in Germany. A list of embassies and/or consulates can be found on the homepage of the German Federal Foreign Office.

The International Office is happy to issue certificates in English, if the embassy concerned so requires. 

Special instructions regarding visas for the USA:
To undertake an internship in the USA, you will need a J1 visa. You can apply for one at the relevant US consulate. One of the essential requirements when it comes to obtaining a J1 visa is to submit what is known as the DS-2019 form (certificate of entitlement) to the US consulate. This form can only be obtained from exchange organizations or visa agencies certified by the U.S. Department of State (a processing fee is payable), such as

New: Work & Travel Visa for Hong Kong and Argentina > Information available in the International Office

Special instructions regarding visas for South Africa:
Since 2015, it has unfortunately no longer been possible to obtain an internship visa for South Africa. 


Health insurance

If you are undertaking your internship in another Member State of the EU, you will find the EHIC (European Health Insurance Card) on the reverse side of your health card. You can use this to obtain treatment in other European countries. Nevertheless, we recommend taking out additional health insurance providing specific services during your stay abroad.

Outside the EU
If you are undertaking your internship in a non-European country, we recommend that you take out health insurance for foreign stays in all cases. For information, the best thing is to enquire with your health insurance organization, or with a private-sector provider, such as ADAC, CareMed or ERV.

Please note: In view of the fact that while undertaking your internship abroad, your student status at Nuremberg Tech will continue, your statutory student’s health insurance in Germany must be maintained in all cases!

Liability insurance

Generally speaking, the majority of private liability insurance policies will provide cover for stays abroad of up to one year. For details, please enquire directly with your insurance company. 

Safety information

Information about general safety precautions

Internships abroad in any country are still possible in principle and can be undertaken, if you wish and bearing your own risk. Please note the following general information about safety precautions in your planning:

  • Submit your information in any case to the crisis provision list “Elefand” at the German Foreign Office for German citizens
  • Remember your health care provisions (travel health insurance, vaccinations, prophylaxis, first-aid items, and medications)
  • Educate yourself about your host country and what behaviours are appropriate there
  • Make note of important emergency numbers
  • Copy/scan important documents

A detailed overview of the most important safety precautions with links is available in the following checklist from the DAAD: Information about general safety precautions

Travel and safety information from the German Foreign Office

The Foreign Office offers the app “Sicher Reisen” and publishes travel information, safety information, and travel warnings regularly.

  • Travel information will cover the entry requirements of a country, medical information, particular legal information (criminal and customs law). The information provided is regularly reviewed and updated.
  • Safety information They may contain recommendations to refrain or restrict travel. As may be appropriate, there may be an explicit advisory against undertaking not absolutely necessary travel or any travel at all. The information is regularly reviewed and updated.
  • Travel warnings They are only issued, if it is necessary to warn against travel to a country or a region of a country due to an acute danger to limb and life. Travel warnings are only seldom issued. Germans who live in a country for which a travel warning is issued may be summoned to leave the country.

Travel and safety information as well as travel warnings are based on information available to the Foreign Office at a given time that is considered reliable by that office. A guarantee that the information is correct and complete as well as liability for possible damages cannot be assumed.

The Foreign Office continues to urgently advise securing travel health insurance with repatriation insurance if travelling abroad.

Information related to the Covid-19 pandemic:

The spread of Covid-19 continues to lead to severe restrictions on international air traffic and travel, entry restrictions, quarantine measures, and disruption of public life, such as curfews, in many countries. Changes to the regulations are sometimes made without any advance notice and with immediate effect. Some countries require a negative PCR test result for entry.
In a case of infection locally, the quarantine measures of the country you are visiting must be followed; repatriation is not possible.

Please visit the homepage of the Foreign Office as well as the Robert Koch Institute about the current Covid-19 situation, regularly.

Accommodation and living


Generally speaking, you will receive tips and links about possible accommodation in the area, once you have received an offer of a job. In many cases, previous interns can also provide valuable tips on looking for somewhere to live. For details, please take a look at our testimonials.


Before travelling, please consult your family doctor or the vaccinations advice center at the Nordklinikum Nürnberg or the Klinikum Erlangen in good time about any vaccinations required for travel to your country of destination. The website also provides an up-to-date information service regarding medical requirements for travellers.


Before departing, please enquire about the latest security instructions from the Federal Foreign Office > Reise und Sicherheit (Travel and Security)

Internships abroad, ERASMUS internship funding