We have assembled some frequently asked questions and answers related to the coronavirus pandemic below. This list is regularly amended and updated. Please read this information closely as it may clear up some points of confusion. For any questions that are specific to your Faculty, please contact the Faculty directly. For new regulations related to examinations, please visit the intranet pages of the Student Office.


How can I find out if something has changed in the regulations?

We send all relevant information per email and post the information on our web pages. Some information is also posted, excerpted, in social media. Please be sure to check your university email account regularly.

Is there a document that contains all guidelines and regulations?

The regulations can change at any time and at short notice. Therefore, it is important to check this site regularly. Basic guidelines are defined in the Teaching framework for winter semester 2021/22

Where can I find more information about current regulations?

The Bavarian Health Ministry maintains an FAQ about general questions related to the novel coronavirus (in German) on its homepage.

Current information for and from the City of Nuremberg is available on its website (in German): 

Information about the coronavirus - City of Nuremberg portal (nuernberg.de)

What to do if you are ill/have symptoms

What do I need to do, if I am infected?

Stay home. 

Individuals who are under quarantine measures or who have a current SARS-CoV-2 infection, may not participate in on campus university operations nor enter the university premises (buildings and other closed rooms). Faculty and staff must work in home office during quarantine; if you are unfit for work, please call in sick. Inform individuals with whom you had direct contact at the university (up to two days before a positive test result).

Stay home.

University members who have unspecific general symptoms or difficulty breathing with any severity should inform their supervisor: Depending on how ill you feel, you can work in home office or call in sick until a SARS-CoV-2 infection has been excluded.

Students meeting the same description also may not attend to their obligations at the university in this case.

Contact your doctor or the “Ärztlichen Bereitschaftsdienst” (on-call medical units) immediately by telephone (116 117).

In view of the dynamic situation around the spread of the SARS-CoV-2 virus, please keep yourself up to date by reading the information on the following sites regularly (daily): 

Bayerisches Staatsministerium für Wissenschaft  und Kunst (StMWK) für Hochschulen und kulturelle Einrichtungen

Bayerisches Landesamt für Gesundheit und Lebensmittelsicherheit (LGL Bayern)

Bundeszentrale für gesundheitliche Aufklärung (BZgA)

Gesundheitsamt der Stadt Nürnberg

The risk areas can be found in the daily situation report on the homepage of the Robert Koch Institute.

Our health office (Gesundheitsschutz) is happy to assist with queries from public health departments (Gesundheitsämter) to Nuremberg Tech:

Telephone: +49 911/5880-4245

Email: schnittstelle-gesundheitsamtatth-nuernbergPunktde


The Paul Ehrlich Institute has summarized an overview of which criteria must be met for complete vaccination protection and that describes various exceptional circumstances (e.g. after recovery from a Covid-19 infection).

Where can I get a vaccination?

All interested individuals can be vaccinated at the municipal vaccination centers. Currently, an appointment is required. Vaccinations are available independent of place of residence and are available for individuals from abroad. Information about where you can find a vaccination center including special promotions (e.g. in shopping centers) are available on the web pages of the City of Nuremberg.

General practitioners and some specialized physicians also offer vaccinations.

When is the next vaccination drive for university members?

There are no vaccination drives currently planned for university members. 

There are many vaccination centers and numerous drives organized by the City of Nuremberg - with or without appointments. 


What tests are accepted at the university?

As of 3 April, no 3G certificates are required for entry to the university campus. This applies for on-campus courses and examinations and also for entry to the Mensa, library, PC rooms, and study rooms. 

Where can I get tested?

Since 13 November, all members of the public are entitled to at least one free rapid antigen test per week, regardless of vaccination or recovered status. The costs are covered by the federal government. You can get free rapid antigen tests at private rapid test centers as well as at the municipal test center at the airport, in doctors’ and dentists’ practices, pharmacies, medical laboratories, and at rescue and aid organizations.

PCR tests are generally still associated with costs.

Details are available, for example, on the City of Nuremberg’s website. 


Testing in other cities: 

In Bavaria, it is possible to be tested at local test centers and rapid test centers of the county administration authorities - where available. Should you be interested in testing in another city, check the specific procedures in that location. 



Entry to Nuremberg Tech’s campus/Mask requirement

How is entry to the campus regulated?

As of 3 April, on-campus classes and entry to any university facility are permitted; the 3G rule no longer applies.

However, it is still required to wear an FFP2 mask, if a minimum physical distance of 1.5 metres to others cannot be maintained. This will most likely apply in lectures or courses. The mask requirement is still in effect in the Mensa.   

Is there a mask requirement?

There is a mask requirement in all university buildings; for students this applies during lectures even if seated. Instructors may remove their masks at work (that is, during class). Since 6 November 2021, FFP2 masks are required - medical (OP) masks no longer meet the requirement.

Do I need to register when I enter campus?

It is possible to enter university buildings and activities without registering. 

In the facilities of the university catering that are open to the public, the 3G rule has been discontinued as of 3 April. The mask requirement is still in effect. 

Are people who are pregnant allowed to come on campus at Nuremberg Tech?

As of 3 April, students who are pregnant may enter campus buildings and participate in on-campus activities, if they wish to do so. Students who are affected by these regulations can receive details from the HSFG.

Online classes/Technical requirements

How is it ensured that students, who cannot participate in on-campus courses and activities, can nonetheless pursue their studies?

We have asked instructors to provide course contents in digital formats. However, there is no guarantee that all course contents are available digitally. We are aware that this can make studying difficult or even impossible in individual cases (students from abroad who cannot travel to Germany; people who belong to certain risk groups, who should not participate in on-campus courses or events due to medical reasons). Please contact the Student Counseling Service to discuss solutions for specific cases.  

Students, who choose not to participate in courses on campus without compelling reasons, must obtain course contents on their own (e.g. from fellow students).

Can students who are present in Nuremberg use rooms on campus to visit online classes?

Students who are in Nuremberg, but cannot accommodate technical requirements at home, for example, can use the rooms on campus to visit online courses. The originally designated classroom can be used for this purpose, but also other areas such as hallways, etc. Please use headphones out of respect for your fellow students.  


It is also possible to use a projector to allow a group to follow the lecture, if the participants present agree. Private end devices may be connected to TH Nürnberg projectors for this purpose. 

Is there adequate WiFi available on campus at Nuremberg Tech?

Nureberg Tech’s WiFi is designed to provide a stable connection even if many students simultaneously attend online classes in university rooms.

Social and support

Are there psychological or psychotherapeutic services available?

Yes, there is. More information is available on this page

Students from abroad

I plan to enter the country from abroad. What do I need to consider?

Please check the website of the Foreign Office ( www.auswaertiges-amt.de/de/quarantaene-einreise/2371468) for the current regulations that apply for the country from which you are entering Germany.

Does the exemption from mandatory health insurance for students, who are only participating in online classes from abroad, apply in winter semester 2021/22?

The regulation to exempt students studying exclusively online from the health insurance mandate is still in effect. This was confirmed by the TK and DAK health insurance providers.

If a student enters Germany, the health insurance mandate comes into effect, retroactive to the beginning of the semester. In some cases, the insurance payments may be waived up to the date of entry. The health insurance providers decide on such waivers (the TK is very accommodating in this regard, for example). However, each student must sort this with their own health insurance provider. You can get the form for this process from Nuremberg Tech’s International Office.